TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.adventuresofcoryandsherry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

I need some advice.

I just bought a Tokina 16-50mm f2.8 lens, and I don't know what to make of it. I have a Canon 30D by the way.

I was originally going to buy the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 but found out that they suffer from a dust contamination problem, so I chose not to buy it. The counterperson showed me the Tokina, and told me that it would be as good as the 17-55 but without the price and the dust.

I brought the lens home, and read a few reviews online, and did some testing in my backyard, and was not happy with the vignetting that was apparent, and it seemed a little soft.

I rented a 17-40mm f4L lens during a trip to the mountains, and it took very sharp and beautiful pics. I have taken my best picture ever with that lens, and I'm thinking of returning the Tokina and exchanging it for the 17-40mm f4L

I guess the reason for this post is to ask for some more recommendations for wide angle zooms for under $1000.00 and to see what others say about the Tokina 16-50mm and the Canon 17-40mm

Thanks!

I haven't purchased a tokina lens since about 1980. I went through 4 or 5 of them and they were all total crap. I gathered some opinions from other photographers and they all said pretty much the same thing. "Stay away". I listened and ever since I don't even acknowledge them. I see the name sometimes and just smile.

That's my experience anyway. Mostly I try to stay with maker glass.

I have the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and it's a great lens. I haven't had any problems with it. A really nice upgrade from the wide angle kit zoom, and quite popular too.

I shoot 90%+ of all my commercial work with a Canon 17-40mm. The only thing that would make me happier is a fixed focal length wide lens.

I don't use third-party lenes. I bought one 35 years ago and was so disappointed I've never considered it again. I do realize this is not reasonable thinking... just a mind-set. But I haven't been disappointed since.

-Pete

Perhaps you should take your Tokina back to the store and have the counterperson refund your money. I have the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. It's a great lens. The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 gets good reviews for less than half the price.

I don't use third-party lenes. I bought one 35 years ago and was so disappointed I've never considered it again. I do realize this is not reasonable thinking... just a mind-set. But I haven't been disappointed since.

+1:thumbup:

I've owned Tamron, Sigma, Promaster, etc. I've had some nice winners, and some real losers, but brand line has never let me down.

Thanks for the replies.

I had a chance to use the lens today at a wedding and shot quite alot of photos with it, and I just don't think it has the sharpness or the pop that the 17-40mm f4L had when I rented it a few months back... I think i will return the lens on Monday and exchange it. I really don't think I need the f2.8 all that much, and honestly, I stopped down to get a greater DOF most of the time anyway!

My biggest complaint was softness at the edges when at 16mm. Most of the photos were pretty sharp in the center tho.

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back