Lenses? (Noob needs help lol)

Danny_511

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok all, I'm a complete noob to film photography so I could use your help. But, I've been doing landscape digital photography and photo shoots for a little bit (couple months so I'm still a novice) so I know my terminology. But, my main question is this. A couple days back, I bought a vintage (56yr old) Monica AutoReflex original. Being the young person I am, I bought it for the nostalgic purposes of it, but I did plan on using it. I did a little research and found out that it was pretty much a Film SLR that was ahead of its time. I found out it had interchangeable lenses and stuff so I got excited lol. Anyone know the best kind of lenses to buy? I don't mean type I mean like, millimeter sizes nd just, types of lenses lol. Oh and where I can get em for cheap? Not grown man with a job cheap I mean teenager cheap. Thank you for any help at all.

Oh and they DO NOT have to be new. Hell, if you can show me any original he anon lenses that'd be fine too.

For lenses for Konica you have to hunt; Craigslist, Ebay, local photo-shows or exchanges. There are no "teenager prices" on second hand market, but you can bargain, a lot. Konica lenses are so good, that they were a standard for Japanese lens industry, however Konica cameras were not that popular like Nikon, Canon, Pentax or Minolta and now are harder to find. They come in Bayonet II mount also known as K/AR. In Europe it was called Revue Auto-Reflex and possibly the lenses may have different name. A problem might be the battery for light meter.

Lol that's what I meant, bargains work. But with Konica lenses being harder to find, can I use different lenses or only Konica t

I didn't mean Konica T. Lol that T was accidental

Actually, well yea kinda but I also wanted to use it for some photo shoots now and then.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks a lot sir...its greatly appreciated

you're very welcome! and if you have any questions about film photography or where to get film developed cheaply, you can just PM me

Cool cool...I actually have one. Are the Canon AE-1s and Minolta SR-1s good cameras?

This Vivitar lens should be a good one. Serial starts with 28 so it was made possibly by Tamioka. It looks like I have same glass in FD and K mounts. Sharp.
If you want really great and flexible camera go for Minolta X700. From the two you are mentioned AE1 has shutter priority mode, SR-1 will have problems with the battery and I am not sure if it is capable of working with MC and MD lenses as preset lenses for SR are almost impossible to get. If anything, rather look on Minolta SR-T series.
Check this website for info on manual Minoltas:
The Rokkor Files
Canon AE1 is good, never had one, but people are happy with it. And FD lenses are plentiful.
Something about this one:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/ae1/

Last edited:
i wouldn't know, never used either. i'm in love with my Nikon FM2, it has Nikon's F mount, which still hasn't changed, so the huge number of F-mount lenses are all compatable with it. another reason i love it so much is that when my dad gave it to me, he gave me 2 great lenses, including one lens which the autofocus version of is worth $500, so i feel like i got a $500 lens for free :D you said you're a teenager, right? go talk to your dad, grandpa, uncle, etc. ask them if they had a film camera, and if they did, if they still have it. that's how i got my FM2, and that's how i found out that my great-grandpa had a Leica at one point [nobody knows where it is :(] you might come across some really great film gear

Most reactions

Back