lenses to dslr

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok... so please do no treat this thread as canon vs nikon discussion!
So you know that I'm buying dSLR. but of course I dunno what to choose - nikon d50 or canon 350d. and you probably know that I'm short of cash :p

so here's the question. Some people told me that with nikon I won't be able to use my old lenses from zenit because it doesn't meter light through such lenses. i know that in canon it is posiible. I also heard that lenses to canon are cheaper than those for nikon... my question: I found on ebay something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LENs-Mount-Adap...587494290QQcategoryZ30066QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

does it mean that all the functions like light metering will work? what do you think about such stuff?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As far as I know, it's a bit fishy. I am under the impression that:

Autofocus won't work. This is pretty categorical as the attachments are different.

Aperture control won't work. The manual aperture ring sets the aperture and the camera has no ability to alter this.

Metering may not work as the lens usually only stops down when the shutter is triggered. Therefore, unless the lens changes the aperture manually at the same time (rather than when the shutter fires) it's always meter for the widest aperture of the camera. This is the bit which I find unclear and is only a guess.

I will be trying my Nikon lenses on my 350D soon, and my Contax lenses as well and I will let you know the results.

Rob

ok... I checked. I wento tomy friend who has canon 20d and you need to set everything manually. I knew about focus, coz there's no "motor" inside, it's a fully manual lens. but I thought that you'll be able to meter the light correctly and something went wrong here.

Rob, please PM me when you'll buy 350d and share opinion!

i bought a d50 and you cant expect much more from a 1000 dslr its great, great photos and nikkor lenses are great quality and cheap, i m going to buy one of those 70-300mm on ebay for 160 bucks which is a bargain, then again a 350d im sure is no doubt a great camera, i bought a d50 and i love it, i dont think there much difference in quality etc, but thats just me, if your short on cash get the d50 and a lense for the price difference!:D

Most reactions

Back