Lenticular Photography

Warrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
this is my first post on this forum and I must say its great to be here. I have been playing around with photography after buying a new canon 450D.

One thing that really has me excited is 3d photography using lenticular lenses. Have you guys had much to do with this type of photography? I have taken portraits of my kids and its pretty cool stuff. Im keen to hear from others who have tried it.

I have a massive image collection of 3D images (my own), the reason I got serious about photography, Lenticular I am not all that familiar with though.

I used a 2 camera rig and my focus was on hyperstereo images. The issue with 3D photography is getting the end user to see it, crossview method in my opinion is the best way optically but not everyone can do it and and results in an optical illusion where the image seems much smaller. The old anaglyph system has issues with certain colours and ghosting in high contrast areas and you do have to wear a pair of glasses.

I tested a brand new samsung TV to see if it could read any 3D still image (.jps etc) format and it was a no go, wtf??

3D still images in high res are freaking awesome. Especially when in hyperstereo as they exagerate what your eyes cant see because the stereo separation is so small.

I did a landscape shot last year where the cameras were about 60 feet apart, I could still make out stereo definition to about 20-30km away.

A mirror rig on a camera will only be good for 3D to about 10 feet. Not enough
separation.

Anaglyph example ie: red/cyan glasses required.

dsc05075a.jpg

Crossview version of the above image, you need to go crosseyed on the image, so your left see's the right image and your right eye see's the left image, tricky but well worth it the effort to learn.

dsc05075m.jpg

image5u.jpg

NOT FOR C&C, lol. Both images are hyperstereo. Last one was taken with a single camera, seperation is about 8 feet from memory, first 2, seperation is about 60 feet.

Ive been using a single camera on a slider to acheive a 12 frame set of images spaced about a meter apart in total. Then using photoshop to interlace the images together and finally adding the lenticualr lens sheet to get the final product. Im currently using 75 LPI (lenses per inch) and it really is quite an impressive effect. I have been showing them off to friends and family and verifying that it really does have that wow factor, and that its not just me, the IT geek, fascinated by one of my new toys.

hi guys

i am very intrested in how lenticular can be used for 3d. just ordered my 1st sample sheet where are you guys getting the sheets from (im from UK)?
i assume your using sticking the lense on a print rather than direct print.

will be an intresting project once the sheet arrives any tips on how to use photoshop for interlacing?

RobNZ, that's the coolest thing ever! Thanks for sharing. It took me a minute to get the eye crossing at the right point, but wow, how cool is that! I'm going to have to try this. My eyes hurt, but I can't stop looking at it. Hopefully nobody slaps me on the back while I'm doing this. :lol:

Once I was able to focus with my eyes crossed, those pictures blew my mind

Once I was able to focus with my eyes crossed, those pictures blew my mind

My trick is: try to focus an imaginative object about one foot in front of your nose. When you see a third picture in the middle then relax your eyes slowly.

Good advice.

robnz, that is totally awesome.

Thanks misstwinklytoes, this post resurection was perfectly timed, I was installing an HD PVR for a client today who had purchased a brand new 50" 3D plasma screen, got chatting with them and end result I was finally able to make my 3d shots work on their TV (and it looks freaking awesome) , had to use their laptop to jump on here to find the file, lol, I now have a format that people can see my 3D works that most people can easily see without colour or ghosting issues or going crosseyed.

Now that I have improved as a photographer, technically and compostionally, its time to add some 3D back into the mix. I can see the retailers selling these tv's going ape sh*t over getting their hands on local content for display/sale purposes, next stop global domination.

Ok maybe the last statement is a little ambitious lol.

That is pure badass Rob. I've never had much trouble going 'relaxed' cross-eyed at will (and not the crazy look-at-your-nose cross-eyed that most people might have tried, lol). In about ten seconds I saw the first image and immediately the second. They were really incredible! I'm going to have to try this.

I order the kit and got some sample alone with 60 and 40 lpi lens. I was trying to get some 3D effects, but so far I have no luck. I am confuse about the printer calibration. I did print the test strips. I have one camera (Canon T1i) mounted on tripod and try to take some photos by of a abject, by shifting the camera about 10inches. What it is proper shifting to get good 3D?
The other question - it is possible to make 3D from single photo?

Most reactions

Back