Lesson learned

irish_love

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other day I was in the living room working with some picture on my laptop. I had my external hard drive plugged in sitting on the end table next to me. Well, I got up to do something and forgot about the hard drive being plugged in. As I got I tried to move the laptop from my lap to the coffee table, and it pulled the hard drive off the end table and it crashed to the tile floor. The hard drive no longer works. :madass:

It was a 250 gig hard drive that was almost full with music, movies, and most of my pictures. They where mostly pics of family and friends over the past few years. :( I might be able to recover some of them through friends and family that I sent them to, but many of them are gone.

I've ordered a 1 TB hard drive to replace the broken 250gig. I'm also going to pic up a 160 gig portable hard drive I saw at the store the other day. I will also start burning pics to DVD.

Again....lesson learned. The hard way. :banghead:

keep the drive, the data may be able to be retrieved. Call your local tech.

ouch second time I have read this story in as many days!
I agree with rooky though - keep the disk since the data is still on it - and a techy might be able to help you get the data back off

back up your images to DVD once per month and you won't have to go through this again...

instead of a 1tb drive that could have the same fate someday, I would have instead opted for two 500gig drives and made them redundent. JMHO

I never erase the pictures on any of my memory cards until the pictures are in at least TWO other places and those TWO places are NOT contained in the same building. It's a must if you want to avoid such things in the future.

The data can be retrieved as rooky said. It is done all the time.

I upload all the keepers to fotki.com (not a plug - use any other service) - for $30 a year - I get unlimited storage - I have about 20G of pictures there and you can always download original file back or order prints from them with very competitive pricing

instead of a 1tb drive that could have the same fate someday, I would have instead opted for two 500gig drives and made them redundent. JMHO

:thumbup: + a third 500 gig drive for a disaster backup that is only plugged in when you backup up your files. I store my disaster backup drive in a large fire resistant gun safe and back to it once a week.

Most reactions

Back