Let me take a crack at this "portrait" business...

Yahoozy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So pretty much my brother and I were bored a couple nights ago so we gathered anything in our house that would produce light (plus a fog machine) and set up a DIY photoshoot
This is my first attempt at portraiture, any C&C is welcome

_IGP51882.jpg

_IGP51982.jpg

_IGP52029.jpg

_IGP52122.jpg

_IGP52763.jpg

_IGP53302.jpg

_IGP533222.jpg

Thanks for looking =P
Oh, and the signature is also something I'm trying out

some interesting shots there

1 i like the shadows on the wall, but there is a lot of negative space above him

2 a closer crop would not hurt. also, if the lights were more immersed in the fog it would probably make it a little more seamless

3 the lighting is interesting. did you use two strands of lights or have you fallen victim to the ever devious elves which ruin holiday lights between seasons?

4 in comparison to 2 and 3 the light seems way to white. overall i think its a little too dark

5 i like the pose and noise, but the clipped heel bothers me. the lighted room with the lights just adds to the nut case feeling.

6 the symmetry works well here, interesting lighting, would have preferred without the dark blinds

7 very cult like. great lighting on his face and hands. same as 6 regarding the blinds and symmetry. the muted candles in comparison to 6 work well.

thanks for the comments =P
1. ya i agree, but i tried a closer crop and it cut into the shadows, just looked off

2. true also, i just kinda spaced on the whole cropping factor hahah

3. actually its one strand that we found in the garage
took about an hour of sifting through christmas stuff in the veeeeery back too

4. well what i was going for was a sort of color leeching feel
the lights are the only source of brightness in the photo and i wanted to give the impression they were also the only source of color

5. gah i didnt even notice the heel >.<
"nut case feeling" hahah is that a compliment or critique?

6. hahah we looked forever for a suitable location in our house
there was one place but we would have had to move an entire wall unit to make it work
we already had to move a chair, a lamp, and a desk thing to get back there
but i completely agree hahah

7. thanks =P more or less what i was going for hahah

six and seven are sick!!!

one is nice but two and three are a tad dark..

but over all these are tight d00d!

o and haha what kind of jeans are those :p

Last edited:
hahah they company is called Dogpile
he gets em at a store called Black Wax, we got em here in California idk if theyre in Georgia though

personally though i aint a big fan, he looks a bit like Peter Pan in my opinion...

I really like these!
4 and 6 are my faves :mrgreen:

great expressions on your brother's face...even the "peter pan" pants seem to work for these shots :thumbup:

thanks =P
this was sort of a practice shoot for some he wanted for his band
his band btw = myspace.com/lionsofcorinth

I like #4 and #6 is quite interesting. These are really an excellent start. Being creative is key to being a truly great photographer, especially in People Photography. You have some good ideas, props, and perspectives. Nice job. I'd like to see some more.

thanks =P
ya i'll put up his band's photos
when they actually get around to a photoshoot that is
could be a year or 2... =P

5 and 7 for me.... They are a really neat set...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back