What's new

Let's Have a look

Fred Berg

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
1,802
Reaction score
748
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I like the contrasts here between forms and colours; I only wish I hadn't clipped her elbow

View attachment 19791

Sigma DP1s
iso 100
1/30
f 5
16.6mm (fixed)
 
Last edited:
Neat! I think it would have been even stronger without the purse-strap and cropped just above the bottom of her shirt. As-is, there's a little too much color IMO.
 
Thanks. I tried a crop like the one you suggest but decided to go with it like it is here because of the slight bow form of her body: from right shoulder to the left hip and out through her right leg. This sort of emphasises that she's on tip toe and, for me, works better with the trousers showing.
 
I think it works. The different geometric forms seem to play: circles (metal, plaster, head), triangles (strap, arms, purse, cap, elbow space), rectangles (torso, limbs, hair, fingers). The colours bounce off of the monotone wall. The girl definitely appears to be struggling to reach. The only thing I miss, and it's totally unavoidable, is her face and eyes. Well, some mystery feels appropriate, here.
 
I think it works. The different geometric forms seem to play: circles (metal, plaster, head), triangles (strap, arms, purse, cap, elbow space), rectangles (torso, limbs, hair, fingers). The colours bounce off of the monotone wall. The girl definitely appears to be struggling to reach. The only thing I miss, and it's totally unavoidable, is her face and eyes. Well, some mystery feels appropriate, here.

Thanks, Jaemie; appreciate your thoughts.
 
Looks like a snap to me, not very interesting

Thanks for sharing your insight.

I think I would agree, but in the sense that I think the color of the shirt and bag detracts rather than adds here, giving the shot more of a snapshot feel. Maybe a monochrome conversion if you haven't tried it?
 
Looks like a snap to me, not very interesting

Thanks for sharing your insight.

I think I would agree, but in the sense that I think the color of the shirt and bag detracts rather than adds here, giving the shot more of a snapshot feel. Maybe a monochrome conversion if you haven't tried it?

This is the B&W edit I liked best having tried several after reading your suggestion and thinking about the colours:


View attachment 19977

(red filter)
 
I like your new B&W edit....i think it has made it much more interesting with the less snappy feel of the colour version other posters have commented on...

I think it is important to leave the cropping where it is as, if you cropped at the bottom of her shirt it would cut the bag out of shot leaving just a strap...There is enough mystery and wondering in the shot without cropping more detail out of shot.
 
I like your new B&W edit....i think it has made it much more interesting with the less snappy feel of the colour version other posters have commented on...

I think it is important to leave the cropping where it is as, if you cropped at the bottom of her shirt it would cut the bag out of shot leaving just a strap...There is enough mystery and wondering in the shot without cropping more detail out of shot.

Thanks, Mikey.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom