Letter to Mr Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I agree totally but he is just does what the news groups in AMerica do except in the other direction. I swear tis like American news channels are afraid to criticise the President or even as it seems on CNN report of any people totally unrelated to the Channel from criticising him.

So I think hes cool in a way because he gives contrast. Both sides are dangerous for many if seen without the other.

His films are funny though :lmao:

Watch bowling for collumbine...to be honest he's a real hero what he tried to do in that film...I think hes a very good person...yes he goes too far, but like the UK, I think most countries need a kick in the face...

Artemis said:
Watch bowling for collumbine...to be honest he's a real hero what he tried to do in that film...I think hes a very good person...yes he goes too far, but like the UK, I think most countries need a kick in the face...

hmm? I am not going any further than this but 1/2 of that movie was made up of lies. He spliced two speeches together so President Bush said what he wanted him to say. One thing that bothers me about Moore is he always criticizes but never gives a solution or at least a reasonable solution.

"but like the UK, I think most countries need a kick in the face..." I do NOT disagree.

Fair enough TMP, glad we're able to discuss such a sensitve subject without getting nasty :)
But you big meany...hehe

I still stick with him, even if the film may have been made of lies, a girl died of guns, and he managed to get guns out of wall mart.
If you can name one thing a gun can do, that nothing else can, that doesnt involve scaring or killing...then maybe Ill agree lol.

Some people need a lesson in how this country actually works.

Google search for the last time a state was federalized.....

And find out who mobilizes the Army National Guard.

Then come back and talk about Bush's lack of response.

My point is this. While I have compassion for those that have lost family members, and homes, and belongings, lets take a realist look at this:

They CHOSE to live in a city that is 8 feet below sea level. On a coastal region that has a WELL documented history of MAJOR hurricanes. They had several DAYS notice that this storm was heading their way, and even after it intensified to a 180mph monster, they STILL had more than 18hrs before it made landfall.

20% of the population of New Orleans remained behind. From the interviews I've seen so far, it's been "Well, we made it through Camille with no damage, and we thought that's the worst that things could be."

Don't even get me started on the conduct of those that have remained behind.

And before you get fussy about me pointing fingers and not helping out, I'm actually on the way out the door to go volunteer at Reunion Arena and Dallas Convention Center, where about 15K evacuees are staying right now. Just part of the 230,000 that Texas has taken in so far, with thousands more arriving by the day, sometimes hour. What has your state done?

Ehh...my state havent done much, probs cause im over seas.
I dont want this to become a heated debate...so maybe, not being nasty, take a step back and a deep breath.
Of course you are right with a lot of it, Maybe it isnt so much blaires fault, maybe it was someone else fault, im not to worried about that.
But lets face the facts, I didnt choose to live where I live, not even in the UK.
Have you ever tried getting out of a city where even is trying to get out? No? I havent either, but I bet its as easy as just driving down the road.
Things arent always as black and white as they appear...

mountainlander said:
Some people need a lesson in how this country actually works.

Google search for the last time a state was federalized.....

And find out who mobilizes the Army National Guard.

Then come back and talk about Bush's lack of response.

My point is this. While I have compassion for those that have lost family members, and homes, and belongings, lets take a realist look at this:

They CHOSE to live in a city that is 8 feet below sea level. On a coastal region that has a WELL documented history of MAJOR hurricanes. They had several DAYS notice that this storm was heading their way, and even after it intensified to a 180mph monster, they STILL had more than 18hrs before it made landfall.

20% of the population of New Orleans remained behind. From the interviews I've seen so far, it's been "Well, we made it through Camille with no damage, and we thought that's the worst that things could be."

And before you get fussy about me pointing fingers and not helping out, I'm actually on the way out the door to go volunteer at Reunion Arena and Dallas Convention Center, where about 15K evacuees are staying right now. Just part of the 230,000 that Texas has taken in so far, with thousands more arriving by the day, sometimes hour. What has your state done?

i love this guy.

The Army National Guard exists in all 50 states, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the territories of Guam and the Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia. The structure of the Army National Guard allows for command and control of units by individual Governors or the President of the United States, depending upon the nature of the call to duty. When Army National Guard units are not mobilized or under federal control, they report to the Governors of their respective state or territory. The President serves as commander-in-chief for units mobilized for federal active duty.

Soldiers of the Army National Guard aiding their community during a flood will most likely be in a state active-duty status, reporting to their governor. Soldiers deployed overseas in support of a federal mission will be under the control of the President of the United States.

The Army National Guard is structured across 50 states, three territories, and the District of Columbia. Each state governor serves as the commander in chief while the Adjutants’ General are responsible for training and readiness. At the state level, the governors reserve the ability under the constitution to call up members of the Army National Guard in times of domestic emergency.

From: http://www.arng.army.mil/about_us/organization/command_structure.asp

Sorry guys, didn't mean to come across quite so heavy handed. Truly.

I'd prefer we all just choose to look at this situation for what it is, a really big mess that will only be cleaned up if a whole lot of people chip in.

It was a natural disaster. Not a politcal event.

mountainlander said:
Sorry guys, didn't mean to come across quite so heavy handed. Truly.

I'd prefer we all just choose to look at this situation for what it is, a really big mess that will only be cleaned up if a whole lot of people chip in.

It was a natural disaster. Not a politcal event.

Unfortunatly the two are rarely seperated...

Artemis said:
Fair enough TMP, glad we're able to discuss such a sensitve subject without getting nasty :)
But you big meany...hehe

I still stick with him, even if the film may have been made of lies, a girl died of guns, and he managed to get guns out of wall mart.
If you can name one thing a gun can do, that nothing else can, that doesnt involve scaring or killing...then maybe Ill agree lol.

I'll send you a personal message as we are getting off topic.

I agree with mountainlander, lets just start the cleanup and all pitch in.

We have other threats as well to deal with. The quick we band together and clean up this mess the better prepared we will be for the next.

tmpadmin said:
I'll send you a personal message as we are getting off topic.

I agree with mountainlander, lets just start the cleanup and all pitch in.

We have other threats as well to deal with. The quick we band together and clean up this mess the better prepared we will be for the next.

I concur whole hartedly...guns just worry me, but yeh were of topic, got the pm and replied...

mountainlander said:
They CHOSE to live in a city that is 8 feet below sea level. On a coastal region that has a WELL documented history of MAJOR hurricanes.
See this doesn't bother me at all... you're going to be hard pressed to find a place in the world that isn't threatened by some sort of natural disaster or other 'disaster' and then it's just a question of risk. And honestly, I think some of the negatives of a place are outweighed by the positives. And because these events only happen once in a blue moon, they're pushed even furhter out of peoples thoughts. It's dangerous not knowing what can happen.

mountainlander said:
They had several DAYS notice that this storm was heading their way, and even after it intensified to a 180mph monster, they STILL had more than 18hrs before it made landfall.
See this is the part that bugs me. Everyone knew that it was coming, but nothing was done. Sure, when something as huge as this is a few days off the coast, you can't really tell which direction it's heading in. You can't exactly evacuate the whole eastern coast line. But I dunno, I don't live in America, so I don't know what precautions were made, but obviously it wasn't enough. But it will be nice to see them gracefully make a comeback and sort things out.

I actually live in a place in Australia where we always get pretty bad cyclones. But why do I live here? Because it is truly gorgeous, the life style is so laid-back and the scenery here is just to die for. Thousands and thousands of tourists pay big bucks to come here and see my city, so I feel very special to actually live here.

Every year we get a couple of cyclones. But for the past 6 years we haven't really had a strong one. All the recent ones have been category 1 or 2 (ie a big storm with lots of rain and a bit of wind). But even with our last cat 2, Seven people died. I'm scared for the day when we get another category 4 or 5 rip through the place. The population here has literally boomed of the last few years and they're all southerners coming up to enjoy the sun ;-) But they never hear about cyclones down south and then they're only publicised up here when there's one threatening us. But by then it's too late sometimes. They can move extremely fast and develop very quickly.

My city gets cut off from the rest of the world every single year, but people still move here. It wouldn't bother me, if these new comers knew about the dangers but no one tells them anything except "look at this lovely expensive house... buy it!".

But the ones that have been here a couple of years are the scariest. You hear them say "a cyclone?... Ahh we've lived through a cyclone before... they're nothing, ya don't have to stock up food or candles... She'll be right, mate".

Not trying to make a point or anything, just some things that popped into my head while I was reading.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe nearly all of the people left behind are the poor black people who had no means of getting out. They don't have cars to get them out and no form of transportation was provided for them.

I also think this "let's stop pointing the finger and get on with the clear up" attitude is classic head in the sand. People who say that either are Apathetic to politics or can'[t see how pointing the finger is the only way people will learn.

If you have a dog that isnt house trained and all you do is clean up after ti it will keep making he same mess and the mess will get bigger and bigger as it grows.

Honestly, I think we should have a forum dedicated for political discussions, where people agree to disagree. :)

I do have the liberty to dream, don't I? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back