Letter to Mr Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
danalec99 said:
Honestly, I think we should have a forum dedicated for political discussions, where people agree to disagree. :)

I do have the liberty to dream, don't I? :D
Dreaming is always free. ;) Don't count on it, though.

Please continue to abide by no-politics policy and keep it all civil! Thanks guys. :)

terri said:
Dreaming is always free. ;) Don't count on it, though.

Please continue to abide by no-politics policy and keep it all civil! Thanks guys. :)

And that's why we call her our Wise Aunty Terri.

Listen to her, boys.

Daniel said:
I also think this "let's stop pointing the finger and get on with the clear up" attitude is classic head in the sand. People who say that either are Apathetic to politics or can'[t see how pointing the finger is the only way people will learn.

If you have a dog that isnt house trained and all you do is clean up after ti it will keep making he same mess and the mess will get bigger and bigger as it grows.

I may be off base trying to interpret what people are saying, but I think they meant that now is not the time to point fingers, only after the immediate dangers have passed would it be prudent to figure out what went wrong, if anything, and how this could be avoided in the future.

In no way do I fault the people who had no way to leave, or didn't have anyplace (or have funds) to go. But I guess the people that stayed and did have means to leave, I kinda have an issue with. It's not about just them anymore, it's about the people trying to rescue them, and if they were not still there, the rescuers could be focusing on the people that couldn't leave.

As far as choosing to live there and the consequences, I totally disagree with. Why leave your job, family, friends, your livelyhood, just because of an off-chance there 'might' be a hurricane at some point? No way...that's like saying to people that died in a car crash "dude, you shouldn't have been driving, there are risks involved."

just my 0.02

Meysha said:
I don't like his style of "journalism". It's unfair, biased and he always manages to twist whatever he finds to suit himself. (bit of tortology there) And I just find him annoyingly rude as well.

but each to their own.

Not to mention that he's nothing but a profiteer of American tragedies. I mean he made a movie on Columbine and 9/11. And made money off of them! Sorry if that is too political for this forum, but it's the truth.

clarinetJWD said:
Not to mention that he's nothing but a profiteer of American tragedies. I mean he made a movie on Columbine and 9/11. And made money off of them! Sorry if that is too political for this forum, but it's the truth.

I'd agree...but won't say anything else as to avoid gettin myself into trouble :)

mountainlander said:
They CHOSE to live in a city that is 8 feet below sea level. On a coastal region that has a WELL documented history of MAJOR hurricanes. They had several DAYS notice that this storm was heading their way, and even after it intensified to a 180mph monster, they STILL had more than 18hrs before it made landfall.

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. Should people from San Francisco or LA leave just because there might be coming 'the big one'? If that were the case how would they leave? By car? By plane? By foot?

Surely enough, there were some bad elements that stayed behind so they can loot and steal but majority of the people that stayed behind did so because they owned no cars.

I agree that we should deal with the problem at hand, and that is doing something for the poor souls down there but let's not forget to ask whose responsibility was for the failure to help when needed. Sorry, it's late and I don't make much sense...;)

Peace now.

Mitica100 said:
Sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. Should people from San Francisco or LA leave just because there might be coming 'the big one'? If that were the case how would they leave? By car? By plane? By foot?

Surely enough, there were some bad elements that stayed behind so they can loot and steal but majority of the people that stayed behind did so because they owned no cars.

I agree that we should deal with the problem at hand, and that is doing something for the poor souls down there but let's not forget to ask whose responsibility was for the failure to help when needed. Sorry, it's late and I don't make much sense...;)

Peace now.

correct me if im wrong, i havent heard the news in a few days because i've been working all weekend, but from what i've heard, the rescuers were SHOT at...so perhaps the responsibility for the failure of help lies on the people who shot at the people trying to help

the rescuers were SHOT at...so perhaps the responsibility for the failure of help lies on the people who shot at the people trying to help

Thats what the army is for, however I hear they are engaged elswhere.

Here's a little bit of reading for those that still think that Bush is to blame:

Lie #2: The Bush Administration was slow in coordinating help.

Mike Brown, Under Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security for Emergency Response and Preparedness, received the order from President Bush on August 27, two full days before the storm hit the region, to prepare for Katrina disaster relief. (6) The President also declared the entire region under a State of Emergency, so that FEMA could coordinate efforts at the request of the Governors. (7) Under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact, the Federal Government and FEMA are not allowed to interfere with local operations unless they are authorized by state and local leaders.

Blanco did not authorize this until September 1, 2005.

Further, according to an Association Press report on August 30, “The federal government began rushing baby formula, communications equipment, generators, water and ice into hard-hit areas of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, along with doctors, nurses and first-aid supplies. The U.S. Defense Department sent experts to help with search-and-rescue operations.” (8 ) FEMA was there and helping, in the capacity that was allowed by local officials, but could not swing into full gear until after Blanco gave them permission.
from: http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0905/0905evac.htm

And:
Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.
from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301680.html

And a timeline pulled from actual government meetings and press conferences.

http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archives/2005/09/04/katrina-response-timeline/

I'm going to put this thread to rest now. Discussion about the victims and how to offer aid are welcome, but if people would like to discuss the politics surrounding this tragedy please stick to PMs. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back