Licensing info

Emma-O

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello fellow shutterbugs! Thanks for having me here.

I am hoping to get a bit of info and/or advice about photo licensing. I recently received an email from a company that wants to use one of my digital photos in a school textbook. It will be a non-exclusive license for a term of 10 years.

This is my first professional opportunity and I really have no clue as to how much money I should be asking from them. They told me their standard rate for using a photo is between $100-200. But for a 10-year license that seems way too low for me. I am tempted to ask for between $1000-2000, but I don't know if I'm asking for too much (or too little for that matter). Can anyone give me an idea of what a reasonable fee would be? If it helps, the photo will be used in a Grade 5 social studies textbook, with 42, 000 copies being printed, and distributed in the provice of Alberta only.

Thanks for any and all help!

Emma-O

www.emma-o.net

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have experience in this area...but I would also think that $100-$200 for one image inside a text book sounds pretty good. I would think that 42,000 copies and limited distribution is much different than a book that might be on the N.Y.T. best seller's list.

Also, as this is your first professional opportunity...it might be expected that you start on the lower end of the scale...although a good image is a good image, regardless of experience.

I took a quick look at your web site...I saw some pretty good images. I look forward to seeing more.

Hi Pete and Big Mike!
Thank you both for the response. It was very helpful. And thanks, Big Mike for checking out my site! I'm looking forward to checking out some of the photography here! I think I'll go for $200...I wasn't sure if I was getting a little too greedy or not, lol.

Thanks again!
Emma-O

It sounds about right to me too. They need 10 years so they can make reprints. Usually the contract is for the one book, so it's not like they have 10 years to use it however they want.

Congrats!

Take what they are giving. The distribution is good, but it is not like these kids have credit cards. I think licensing can vary from project to project.

Also consider that these guys may become good clients.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back