Life-light

bobby paul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Web 1554.JPG

Nice flower but the white writing is very distracting......

Nice flower but the white writing is very distracting......
I used white lettering so it would contrast with the black background.
What would have been your suggestion?

I tend to favor the KJV "And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not", I'm not familiar with this version. I've seen a couple of your posts with scripture included, while I don't find it objectionable, I'm not sure where you're going with these. Are you seeking critique on the images??? If so it would probably be better to post the image minus any lettering. If it's a post for the sake of the post then, perhaps posting in the "Just for Fun" category, might be better, as those are not generally open for critique.

I honor your choice of using the KJV.
What I am doing is to match a photo with a bible verse
which best correlates to the image.
Unfortunately KJV does not offer this opportunity.
So I choose one of many modern translations which
is suitable to the bible message being conveyed.

One note that I use is to do what is called half or quarter contrast.
I usually do this in ms paint and utilize the text color to come up with either a lighter or darker text color from the background with a less intrusive font. A serif style font that is smaller and perhaps a bit more stylish helps. Sans-sirif style (Arial and block style) are heavy and cumbersome. Times New Roman, Calibre and others with an accented end makes for a more visually appealing lettering.

Thank you for your critique.
I do not consider myself to be a professional photographer.
And I don't presume everyone who views this image has the same standards as you do regarding contrast and text coloring.
I do agree that the font size could have been reduced and still be acceptable.
I use Verdana style because if its easy readability -
choosing to make legible for every viewer.

No problem with the version unless it goes so far off reservation that's it's unrecognizable, but you didn't answer my question as to the "intent" of your postings? Are they for critique or are they for the sake of posting?? The Nature and Wildlife category is "For all your outdoor shots, which may include your encounters with wildlife. Post for discussion and feedback, including general critique". If that is your intent, then posting in this category with text on the image will get critique both on the image and the text, though IMO the critique would likely be more valid if text was not included.

Just posting the image for the sake of posting might work better in the "Just For Fun" category "This is the place for your less serious work. Post pictures of your pets, funny images - or maybe something that just happened to catch your attention! Not intended for serious critique". Just be aware that TPF has a policy against posting religious or political content in the open forum. I'm not a moderator so I have no idea as to how strict they might be on any particular post.

Just be aware that TPF has a policy against posting religious or political content in the open forum. I'm not a moderator so I have no idea as to how strict they might be on any particular post.

I didn't necessarily object before, but with the continuing posting of these images, I do. I would argue that these posts go against the TPF guidelines, specifically:

* No religious discussions or debates are allowed. Exceptions are only an objective explanation of a religious ceremony that may have been photographed during the course of a wedding shoot, or other photojournalistic event that may require some informative background.​

I object to these posts for the explicit use of religious text as the reason and subject for the images. These aren't pictures of religious objects, churches, relics, etc. for our viewing pleasure or for critique.

It would appear that the specific intent is to force the viewer to view the non-religious images in a religious context (hence the quotes), which would fall into a religious discussion/debate.

No problem with the version unless it goes so far off reservation that's it's unrecognizable, but you didn't answer my question as to the "intent" of your postings? Are they for critique or are they for the sake of posting?? The Nature and Wildlife category is "For all your outdoor shots, which may include your encounters with wildlife. Post for discussion and feedback, including general critique". If that is your intent, then posting in this category with text on the image will get critique both on the image and the text, though IMO the critique would likely be more valid if text was not included.

Just posting the image for the sake of posting might work better in the "Just For Fun" category "This is the place for your less serious work. Post pictures of your pets, funny images - or maybe something that just happened to catch your attention! Not intended for serious critique". Just be aware that TPF has a policy against posting religious or political content in the open forum. I'm not a moderator so I have no idea as to how strict they might be on any particular post.

Thank you for your feedback.
I post for the sake of posting.
They are all nature shots I've taken, the the "Nature" category is the appropriate one for me.
I have already had some positive comments on my submissions.
As to the bible verses, I passed this issue by the staff and they said quoting verses in text form is not permitted.
BUT...a verse imprinted on the image is acceptable.
Sorry that you have an issue with it.

Note if you take issue with a post or believe a post to be in breach of the forum rules please use the report button. Note reporting means mods get a report and will act upon it, however it does not mean we will interpret reports in the same way as those who have reported them.

As of right now we don't see these as religious discussion, simply photos with a quotation. If you feel differently or wish to put forth an alternative viewpoint please either use the report button or open a private message with one of the moderating team.

As to the bible verses, I passed this issue by the staff and they said quoting verses in text form is not permitted.
BUT...a verse imprinted on the image is acceptable.

I had no issue with it either way merely trying to understand your intent for my own commenting, glad it's cleared up and Overread chimed in. One thing I do when I post in a category that typically offers critique, is to add the phrase "C&C appreciated"on those that I want critique, and to put nothing on those that I'm not really expecting any. Not necessary I guess, but IMO it takes some of the guess work out of knowing if the poster is actually seeking any critique on the image, or just showcasing their image. Some of the critique can be brutally blunt, but there is a vast knowledge among the many members here, who are always willing to help you grow. I see you're relatively new on the forum so I apologize for not welcoming you earlier, glad your here, and look forward to more of your work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back