Light metering the flash...

shootermcgavin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I generally like to use spot metering in the camera and I'm sick of the guess method I have been using with the flash. I have a little star button(also controls aperture, sorry manual is only in spanish) that sends out a test flash which I thought would meter the light when it does that but it is not. How can I meter the light that my off camera light is putting out? I looked on you tube for a tutorial but they're all basic tutorials. Canon 60d and Nissin Di866 if that has something to do with it. Thanks!

The * button should meter the flash and fix its output for a proper exposure based on a spot meter reading under the middle AF point on the camera at the time the * button is pressed.

However if you're still having problems put the flash into manual mode; fix its output and thus each time it fires it will be the same; you then just have to adjust its output for the scene you are shooting. Of course for a constantly changing scene this isn't as suitable unless the flash is fully dominant

If you flash is capable of E-TTL...then it meters by sending out a pre-flash, just before the exposure. The camera reads the reflected light (Through The Lens) and decides how much flash power to use based on it's reading, the aperture and ISO settings.
If you want to dial in more flash, you can use FEC (flash exposure compensation).
Keep in mind that this is still an automatic mode, so the reflected reading will be influenced by the reflectivity (brightness) of your subject.

Either way, this does not influence your in-camera meter (the scale). That is strictly an ambient light meter...not a flash meter.
If you really want to meter you flash, get a hand held flash meter.

yeah E-TTL works fine but I'm thinking more in manual mode how could I meter the light but it sounds like maybe I can't. I thought the * button would do it but it definitely does not, it keeps the same reading as if there was no flash. I guess with out a flash meter using manual is not the most productive method.

Actually it is. We have a preview screen. It is as easy as looking at your LCD, see the result, decide whether you need to adjust the flash power, or adjust the camera's setting.

Either way, this does not influence your in-camera meter (the scale). That is strictly an ambient light meter...not a flash meter.
If you really want to meter you flash, get a hand held flash meter.
^^ What he said. ^^

Or you can use the guide number and distance to subject to actually compute the theoretical power you need if you want the extra challenge. But yeah, shoot, chimp, adjust. After a bit of experience you'll be able to guess pretty close to what power setting to start at based on aperture and ISO and what modifier you use and the ratio's you want.

If you dont have a flash meeter you have to use you Lcd? take a shot and adjust your flash power / distance and your camera settings to get the exposure you want

Most reactions

New Topics

Back