Light Metering

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As most DSLRs have a light meter these days, with the ability to use 3 modes to "meter" the available light - do any of you use a separate light meter?

If so, which one, and what is the benefits you receive from it?

They are "better" because they measure the light that is hitting the subject. The camera measures the light that is hitting the subject then going into the camera.

Movie crews will use them a bunch because the still shoot to film and it allows the lighting crew to set up a scene beforehand.

Not much any more but having retired I've relaxed my work methods a little. I'm still keeping the hand meter though -- not ready to give it up -- it's an old Minolta IV. Benefits? Increased accuracy over a reflected light reading.

Joe

I use a hand-held meter every time I'm in the studio (Minolta Flash V). As others have said, incident metering is generally more accurate than reflective, and there's the added bonus of being able to meter flash output (with a flash meter).

I shoot landscapes with a hand-held only. There's simply no point to using the built-in meter when I have time to use a hand-held. I use the Sekonic L-758. Why? Because I can calibrate the meter to my camera's exact dynamic range, within 1/10 stop. That range then displays on the meter so when I take a reading of highlights and shadows I can verify that the shot will record with all detail, and if not I know how I need to bracket for HDR, usually no more than two shots. The mistake most amateurs make is bracketing the hell out of HDR when almost no images require more than two to three shots.

The 758 also affords me a 1-degree spot meter, more accurate than any DSLR spot meter, so I can read a specific highlight and open up as desired from there. This also enables me to pinpoint highlight and shadow readings. There are too many other benefits to list. Some of them include instant averaging, instant calculations of stop difference between two readings (A light, B light), other quick calculations, flash metering for exact exposure every time, and the ability to quickly find the exact midtone of a scene.

One of the best benefits is incident metering. The incident meter is never fooled by brightness or color of the subject. It measures only the light itself as it falls on the scene, not what is reflected. Since it's measuring the light, I know tones will be rendered as they are under that light -- black as black, white as white. No matter what the scene is, if it's under the same light as the meter it will be exposed correctly, no guessing or compensation needed. One instant reading and it's locked in. There are many benefits to this, one of them being I need no test shots. I can simply fill an entire card with only perfect exposures, never needing to guess and delete, which saves me time and storage, especially while on the road.

I also use a hand-held when possible during weddings and portrait sessions. Whenever I have time to use the meter and whenever I feel the camera's meter will be too fiddly, I use the Sekonic. This is also because I like to shoot in manual for consistency. For example, when you shoot 20 different groups during formals, you don't need to change flash or ambient exposure each time. You meter it once, and then the shot is the same every time, regardless of what people are wearing. I use the Sekonic at most points throughout a wedding. The other most used alternative for me is spot, and then matrix. I don't need the hand-held for dances because I simply shoot in manual exposure and let the flash do its thing.

What would be a good option that isn't in the 6-700 dollar range?

Any recommendations in the 2-300 for a good all rounder - or if had to narrow it down, NOT studio.

What would be a good option that isn't in the 6-700 dollar range?

Any recommendations in the 2-300 for a good all rounder - or if had to narrow it down, NOT studio.

The little Sekonic 308 is superb. If you need/want spot metering, the Sekonic 508/558/608/758 models do it all. They sold well and are available used in nice shape for well within your price range.

I use the 308 when traveling light and the 558 for spot metering and studio work. Incident metering delivers consistency--that's what using a handheld meter is all about.

I'd strongly recommend getting the newest meter you can afford. Though some will recommend them, relics like old Westons and old Luna Pros can be false economies.

I was gonna suggest the Sekonic L-358, but apparently it has been discontinued. If you can find a used one, they are a good option. I can't remember how much I paid, but it was far less than the L-758.

I got the Sekonic L478D ... seems to tick all my boxes, and a few more.
I could have spent more and gotten more features which I don't use (and probably won't use - such as controlling my speedlights).

Looking forward to more consistently correct exposures!

I was gonna suggest the Sekonic L-358, but apparently it has been discontinued. If you can find a used one, they are a good option. I can't remember how much I paid, but it was far less than the L-758.

Not according to Sekonic's site. Sekonic Light Meter: L-358 FlashMaster Exposure Meter - Overview

I can see how you came to that conclusion. When you go to the buy page "Confusion" is not one of the states where they have any dealers. :lol:

Ebay is never discontinued lol

Most reactions

Back