Light-painting on a violin

Not bad. I've tried a few of these and it's not as easy as it looks.
How many shots did you take? What sort of light did you use?
You might have tried a little more light in the upper left and on the strings.

Thanks! I took around 25 shots and used 4 in Photoshop. The light was just a mini mag-lite. Lighting the chin rest was tough.

This is not too bad, but it is a bit dark for me. Maybe as a low key shot it isn't too bad, but a low key shot would probably not have the reflection. Will you let us know how the assignment went, as it would be interesting to know.

WesternGuy

This looks like the violin was poorly lit by an ordinary light source rather than by any "light painting". Sorry.

This looks like the violin was poorly lit by an ordinary light source rather than by any "light painting". Sorry.

Can you elaborate please? Too harsh or flat? I think I need to be getting closer to the objects with the flash light. Different camera settings maybe or just better manipulation of the light? Would a non reflective object be better for a beginner?

Can you elaborate please? Too harsh or flat? I think I need to be getting closer to the objects with the flash light. Different camera settings maybe or just better manipulation of the light? Would a non reflective object be better for a beginner?

The light is too "even". It's as if you're trying to get the light even overall. If you're going to go to the trouble of light painting, it usually turns out more varied and artistic. Camera settings are nearly irrelevant, providing there is enough time to do the light painting. I doubt if the reflectivity has any relevance.

The light is too "even". It's as if you're trying to get the light even overall. If you're going to go to the trouble of light painting, it usually turns out more varied and artistic. Camera settings are nearly irrelevant, providing there is enough time to do the light painting. I doubt if the reflectivity has any relevance.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking you meant. I have a few more light painting assignments so your comments are helpful.

Most reactions

Back