Light Painting?

newb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I really like the light painting photos I've seen, and decided to try it myself. I used a small flash light and a plain white sheet for my first attempt, which was just a quick test. My biggest problem was with my light source. The edges of the light lines didn't come out sharp at all. So, my question is, what are some light sources that will yield good results, with sharp edges on the lines?

Get some LED lights in different colors. Set the camera on manual focus and focus in the area that you will be when you start painting. Good luck
tj

Sweet, thanks for the tip. Any suggestions on a source for LED's?

I have found that your aperture plays a big part as well. If its too light you can add a lot to it in your PP. Saturation and Contrast go a long way here.

Try modifying your flashlight. For example, make a snoot out of paper or something. That might give you a 'tighter' light that isn't so fuzzy at the edges.

I've heard that LED Keychain lights work.

I just bought my son a couple of small Star Wars style light sabres, which run off of three A-76 batteries, and have a series of small LED's inside--I did a few quick snaps, and they work great. They have seven different light patterns--solid glowing, and various types of flashing. And as he says, "plus OFF--so they have EIGHT settings!" I bought them for $2.98 each, a blue and an orange. Both show up great,and make a good exposure at ISO 400 at f/6.7.

FYI if you're looking for something super cheap to get started I picked up 2 led keychain lights at Walgreens today for 99 cents each (green and blue - there was also a red one but the battery was dead from being left on in the store) . I'll try them out tonight and let you know how they worked out.

FYI if you're looking for something super cheap to get started I picked up 2 led keychain lights at Walgreens today for 99 cents each (green and blue - there was also a red one but the battery was dead from being left on in the store) . I'll try them out tonight and let you know how they worked out.

I was thinking about getting the same thing. If you get anything good will you post up some pics too?

This set is a must have for painting - V24 Light Stick Party Set :: Crazy Deals :: Discount LED Lights & Knives

Here they are in action - The orb is a hula hoop with LED Christmas nights ($2.50)
3406349528_9336a00a28.jpg

3686868183_f3aa50acc9.jpg

Sparklers
3501587263_03364705b9.jpg

LED dog light on string
Mesa Arch
3522130064_3dc9309bb1.jpg

Under Delicate
4157398479_3b29d6fe9f.jpg

and dont forget steel wool
3530021276_411cd89675.jpg

My cousin emailed me with this picture and I don't know how they do it. By that i mean, how do they get the light writing but have focused subjects.
would there be a person actually light drawing and the subjects stay put?

IMG_5163-Photoshopped2.jpg

Thanks for allthe great tips everyone!

Mcnug, how long was was the shutter on the pic withthe word "light" in the middle? Id like to achieve similar results with my attempts.

OK so clearly not as advanced as McNugget801's stuff, but here are a couple from the cheapo keychains that I got yesterday. They work for writing, but I really want to find some wands/lightsticks or other lit objects because that just looks awesome.

Both pics at ISO 100 for 30 seconds
This one F/8
4173888883_eda92e0dc5.jpg

This one f/22
4174646258_efbc06ed4d.jpg

The only room dark enough was the closet... so I decided to feature the wrinkle release :lmao:

It seems that the brightness is affected by whether the beam is pointed directly at the camera or not. With some planning this could be used in a more creative way I bet.

Mcnug, how long was was the shutter on the pic withthe word "light" in the middle? Id like to achieve similar results with my attempts.

Exposure: 47 Aperture: f/2.8 Focal Length: 11 mm ISO Speed: 100

Most reactions

Back