light room, apeature V Photoshop

pete1606

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wonder how these three programs compare in functionality and ease of use light room, aperture, Photoshop

Aperture and Lightroom are comparable, Photoshop is a totally different program.

Aperture and Lightroom are mostly organizational programs with some basic photo editing thrown in there. Photoshop is the industry standard for photo editing.

Download the demos for Aperture and Lightroom, see if they work for you. If you need more functionality, then get photoshop.

I don't know about Aperture as I dont use it but I do Lightroom and Photoshop. I would say you can't compare them as they are used for different things and theres Pros and Cons to each. Lightroom is great for organizing, making overall adjustments, print,web, basically a complete workflow. Photoshop is more to make specific adjustment.

Comparing Lightroom and Photoshop is like comparing apples and oranges --or perhaps slightly more relevantly it would be like comparing iTunes to something like Logic or Reason.

The way I think about it, is Lightroom is like iTunes for photos (minus the store element). It allows you to organise all your images, and make some basic tweaks to their appearance, like contrast levels, brightness etc. in the same way that iTunes allows you alter the volume levels of your music. But primarily it is for organising and collating a database of all your photos. It allows you to rate, categorise and tag the images, again very similar to the way iTunes handles music.

However, Lightroom is not a full blown image producing program, in the say way iTunes isn't a music producing program. This is where Photoshop comes in. It is the industry standard for editing, processing and producing images and photos. It's abilities are comparable to music producing programs, such as Reason or Logic. It allows you to create images from nothing but a blank canvas, or alternatively edit your photos into something completely different.

Cheers

-------------

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back