Light strails

Devinhullphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are shots I just went out front of my house and grabbed. I know most people will hate the street light but I kind of like the flair from it.

The second one has the light dim cause its always flickering off and on and during the exposure it was barely on.

Opinions?

Light Trails*

Attachments

• $image-756924611.jpg
    $image-756924611.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 115
  • $image-2125332475.jpg
    $image-2125332475.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
The light trails don't seem to be the subject in either photo, the lamplight/lens flare dominates #1 while the sky dominates #2, the car light trails are minimum, I feel you need to change your angle of attack/composure for better effect

These are shots I just went out front of my house and grabbed. . .
. . . Opinions?
Yep. That's exactly what they look like too.

My opinion is that more preparation would have made much better images.

As mentioned, it turned out that the light trails are at best tertiary image elements.

The light trails don't seem to be the subject in either photo, the lamplight/lens flare dominates #1 while the sky dominates #2, the car light trails are minimum, I feel you need to change your angle of attack/composure for better effect

I don't remember saying they were supposed to be the subject.

I always get that complaint on here.

Yep. That's exactly what they look like too.

My opinion is that more preparation would have made much better images.

As mentioned, it turned out that the light trails are at best tertiary image elements.

As usual no tips on how to improve the shot. Just to "prepare" which doesn't give any insight to what that means.

I know this isn't a light trail or even the same area, but I wanted to post it and see what you thought.

I bet someone says there is too much sky. I bet I'll hear the composition sucks. Am I right?

Attachments

• $image-3460031208.jpg
    $image-3460031208.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 97

I don't remember saying they were supposed to be the subject.

I always get that complaint on here.
Your title is why I thought they were the subject, if they weren't then what was ??
Whats with the I always get the same complaint - I have no idea what advice you were given in the past regarding anything - but if we don't know the subject or what your trying to capture then how could
I offer help suggestions like me saying change your angle ....
Also.... you posted a photo for critique but seems like you have an attitude on what was said ... personally if your looking for wow thats great type of comments you should try Facebook

Your title is why I thought they were the subject, if they weren't then what was ??
Whats with the I always get the same complaint - I have no idea what advice you were given in the past regarding anything - but if we don't know the subject or what your trying to capture then how could
Also.... you posted a photo for critique but seems like you have an attitude on what was said ... personally if your looking for wow thats great type of comments you should try Facebook

Would you prefer me to title it landscape? The entire thing is the subject. The light trails are just something that is apart of the photo.

People always feed me that line of "there's too much sky". Would you rather see a bunch of boring grass? I'd prefer to see the colors in the sky and the clouds.

No I am just getting tired of every comment that I seem to get on my photos is always telling what they don't like and rarely do people tell me how I can improve. I come here to get tips on improving and most the time I get critique from people who barely post and photos. Like the other guy who commented on this thread says I should have prepared. Great tip except he didn't even elaborate, so I'm still at square one.

I'm just tired of people and their "I've been taking photos since the 70's and I'm better than you!" Mentality. I'm not a pro I don't wanna be but I wouldn't mind tips from someone who has experience and real training and good gear and all of that.

Would you prefer me to title it landscape? The entire thing is the subject. The light trails are just something that is apart of the photo.

People always feed me that line of "there's too much sky". Would you rather see a bunch of boring grass? I'd prefer to see the colors in the sky and the clouds.

No I am just getting tired of every comment that I seem to get on my photos is always telling what they don't like and rarely do people tell me how I can improve. I come here to get tips on improving and most the time I get critique from people who barely post and photos. Like the other guy who commented on this thread says I should have prepared. Great tip except he didn't even elaborate, so I'm still at square one.

I'm just tired of people and their "I've been taking photos since the 70's and I'm better than you!" Mentality. I'm not a pro I don't wanna be but I wouldn't mind tips from someone who has experience and real training and good gear and all of that.

Just taking a stab at it but I think by 'prepare' they mean by scout the location, look around, look at different angles, etc. to get the best composition possible. Even landscapes have subjects ie waterfall, mountain, ocean, etc. whatever you want the viewer to draw their eye to. These light trails really don't flow anywhere so me, as a viewer, think that it is really absent of a subject. The light trails that I find the most interesting are the ones in cityscapes that show flow in and out of the city. Again just my two cents.

Just taking a stab at it but I think by 'prepare' they mean by scout the location, look around, look at different angles, etc. to get the best composition possible. Even landscapes have subjects ie waterfall, mountain, ocean, etc. whatever you want the viewer to draw their eye to. These light trails really don't flow anywhere so me, as a viewer, think that it is really absent of a subject. The light trails that I find the most interesting are the ones in cityscapes that show flow in and out of the city. Again just my two cents.

Those are great but considering I live in central Ohio that kind of scene isn't available to be whenever I feel the need or want to photograph it.

I saw that...perhaps even finding a static object that contrasts the light trails like a tractor or maybe a turtle. IDK just throwing out off the wall ideas to fit your location to your concept. Then that goes back into 'preparation.' I get frustrated with this forum to at times but learned quickly that backlash isn't the answer and often the fastest way to get ignored.

I'm not one to cherry coat anything for to me thats what FB is for as I said. You said image 1 that the whole scene is your subject which to me says ok he's trying for a landscape image .... therefore the street light & flare is distracting and not visually appealing. The wires & light trail lines are broken and aren't leading anywhere as well. What are you trying to capture ??? Think/plan is good advice that you knock ...why? Taking great images take work and teaching someone to "see" is very very hard. Juga told you straight up persist this way and you'll be ignored

I'm not one to cherry coat anything for to me thats what FB is for as I said. You said image 1 that the whole scene is your subject which to me says ok he's trying for a landscape image .... therefore the street light & flare is distracting and not visually appealing. The wires & light trail lines are broken and aren't leading anywhere as well. What are you trying to capture ??? Think/plan is good advice that you knock ...why? Taking great images take work and teaching someone to "see" is very very hard. Juga told you straight up persist this way and you'll be ignored

The lines don't lead anywhere. Oh boy. The people on this forum over think photos way to much. It's a photo. As stated in my description I just grabbed it. I didn't sit around for hours thinking of a concept and back story to hope you guys would pick up.

I didn't knock that advice. I simply didn't understand what that meant. I could honestly give two ****s if the arrogant people who apparently do nothing but post on here hate me. If I'm ignored for being upset then good for you. There are plenty of other places and people I can get help from.

Is that street pole leaning over or lens distortion?

Most reactions

Back