Light Tents

Lou0169

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm looking to take pictures of my reptiles and was wondering how well table top light tents would work. Which would be a better choice....
The tents with three Softboxes or the tents with bulbs?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't understand your question, the light tent is usually separate from your lights. While I might see using a soft box if you need to put the light super close to the tent - that's basically two layers of diffusion.

I think the real answer is, what light tent would your reptiles feel the most comfortable in? Because if they're not comfortable you might not get good compositions anyways.

I don't understand your question, the light tent is usually separate from your lights. While I might see using a soft box if you need to put the light super close to the tent - that's basically two layers of diffusion.

I think the real answer is, what light tent would your reptiles feel the most comfortable in? Because if they're not comfortable you might not get good compositions anyways.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/32-Cube-...0113&wl11=online&wl12=151281603&wl13=&veh=sem

This one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/32-Cube-...0113&wl11=online&wl12=151281603&wl13=&veh=sem

This one

Or this one
AliExpress Mobile - Global Online Shopping for Apparel, Phones, Computers, Electronics, Fashion and more

I doubt the light source of either of those choices is going to support a shutter speed fast enough to photograph a moving object. If I were to pick between the 2 the walmart one looks like a better value. Again I doubt it will give you 1/60 of a second unless you jack the iso

The light tent will work fine. You want to use strobes, though, and not hot lights. While reptiles may enjoy the warmth of hot lights, your images will appreciate the action stopping exposures of strobes.

The light tent will work fine. You want to use strobes, though, and not hot lights. While reptiles may enjoy the warmth of hot lights, your images will appreciate the action stopping exposures of strobes.
One more question...Can I use a speedlight instead of the lights that come with the tent? Would that work?

One more question...Can I use a speedlight instead of the lights that come with the tent? Would that work?

Most light tents do not include lights. You can buy a perfectly competent one for $25 or so. You should have two lights - one on each side of the tent.

Thanks everyone!! I ended up buying a Newer kit including two lights with bulbs & light stands and 4 backdrops (red, blue, white and black). Now to give this a try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back