Lighthouse and Northern lights.

IceCanAm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is one from tonight. taken with my 18-55 kit lens. If there is a way to edit the picture better feel free to do so.

Very cool! I think this might have been worth doing as an HDR-type image. One exposure for the lighthouse, and another for the aurora, which while okay here, would be even better were it a little brighter.

Very cool! I think this might have been worth doing as an HDR-type image. One exposure for the lighthouse, and another for the aurora, which while okay here, would be even better were it a little brighter.

Yes you are right about the brightness. Max opening on the kit lens is F3.5 i wish i had the 50mm F1.8 with me at that time to try out at least f2,8 or even 1,8 + shorter shutter speed. I was afraid to bump up the iso had it ad 200, maybe 400 would have been better.

I am incredibly jealous! The northern lights have always been something I wanted to see, but it VERY rare here in south carolina

I am incredibly jealous! The northern lights have always been something I wanted to see, but it VERY rare here in south carolina

True, I have been watching them since a kid, but just recently started to capture them :)

Yes you are right about the brightness. Max opening on the kit lens is F3.5 i wish i had the 50mm F1.8 with me at that time to try out at least f2,8 or even 1,8 + shorter shutter speed. I was afraid to bump up the iso had it ad 200, maybe 400 would have been better.

No just use a tripod so that you can use a much longer exposure.

Also straitened out the lighthouse it is severely crooked.

No just use a tripod so that you can use a much longer exposure.

Also straitened out the lighthouse it is severely crooked.

Thanks for your reply i appreciate it, i will use longer exposure next time, i do use a tripod and remote.

Do you think lighthouse is crooked because tripod maybe were not leveled enough ?

EDIT: Does it look better now ?

Last edited:
god i Love the northern lights, wish i had the chance to capture them. Great image, could be brighter, maybe try to tweak the exposure a little in post-processing

Most reactions

Back