What's new

Lighthouses and boat.

IceCanAm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 17, 2012
Messages
2,855
Reaction score
347
Location
Iceland
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went outdoors in the evening today, and took the first photos on my new camera. I am a beginner with SLR cameras, only had pocket sises before.

The old and new lighthouses.

IMG_0016.JPG


And my late fathers boat who was a captain.

IMG_0015.JPG


Both are shot, 6 sec, Aperture 4,5 and iso 200.
 
The car is a real distraction in the first one.
The well lit foreground in the boat draws. I'd edit that to reduce exposure on the grass and driveway.
 
I agree with MLeeK about the car. Perhaps you could set the shot up to just include the old and new lighthouses. Where was this taken, btw?
 
Again, agreed with MLeeK. .. first shot, just well, it's just a night time snap shot to me, car is a HUGE distraction.

2nd, a more preferred angle would have been nice, like from askew of the bow and trying to use the landing for the vessel, instead of just a side on shot.

I've a mate, Tony Prower who lives in Iceland, check out some of his stuff. Iceland is TRULY one of the most MAGICAL (and expensive, lol) places I have ever been to.

I look forward to seeing more of your shots.
 
#1: I am worried about the centering of the light house; if that were shown to the right of the frame, then the car would have justified in its place giving a balance to the composition

I liked the moon and the white track marks in the second, both of which complements the ship

Regards :D
 
I have only owned this camera for 6 days now. I did not take those pics to sell and become Bill Gates neighbour haha. Was simply testing.

I cropped the car out here.

1351979601.jpg



Are the tripods from Camlink ok ? I can get them here, or what do you recommend ? Thanks in advance and for the friendly tips.

Until next enjoy one of my favorites from another Icelander. GK 20 by Jón Óskar.
 
Last edited:
I would have shot the lighthouse portrait. Is anything hiding behind the lighthouse from that perspective? If not, I would move and put whatever's to the right behind, I can't make out what it is and its over exposed.
 
There is only ocean behind it. the light that you saw was a ship sailing by.

135555_4129276903327_857187872_o.jpg


4b5ad3b2-3c77-4e8b-8278-9b4d0acc8719.jpg
 
I would have shot the lighthouse portrait. Is anything hiding behind the lighthouse from that perspective? If not, I would move and put whatever's to the right behind, I can't make out what it is and its over exposed.


Also, nothing is in focus except part of the railing. . .
 
I would have shot the lighthouse portrait. Is anything hiding behind the lighthouse from that perspective? If not, I would move and put whatever's to the right behind, I can't make out what it is and its over exposed.


Also, nothing is in focus except part of the railing. . .

I added the airshot and the old light house just to show there would be nothing behind it except the sea , However i added 2 blurry pictures as well to show that my tripod is no good in extreme wind, They were both in good focus when i pushed the remote shutter. It was the wind that shook the tripod. I asked a question under the blurry lighthouse about tripods witch has not been answered. So instead of just looking at pics and critic them i recommend read what the persons write as well.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom