Lighting a Banquet Room with On-Camera Speedlight?

I found the materials at Walmart last night and made a bounce card very similar to the Peter Gregg Extra Large Better Bounce Card. It is actually a little bit larger than the Extra Large, but not by much. I think that the 85 will probably live on the camera for the duration of the event. Last time I shot there all I used was the 70-300, which is quite slow. The f/1.8 should be a big help, and I have the option of the bounce card/speedlight if I need it.

Thanks for the help and I will be sure to post some of the results.

Peter Gregg has multiple videos on how to make a GOOD craft foam bouncer. THIS is exactly the type of device you will want to have for shooting in a huge, high-ceilinged room big enough to have a basketball court.

I made 2 versions and sewed a 1" piece of elastic to hold in place.

This one is foam board only and have tried this out many times.

BounceCardStrap by Cheryl3001, on Flickr

This version has a wire that I pressed into the foam board and used very small pieces of tape to hold in place. Next I painted on glue and attached a piece of black fabric. Let sit for 24 hours then cut the black fabric. This version casts a lot of light! It can be bent down backwards to decrease its size. I have 22 foot ceiling in the LR and it was very powerful. I made this to use in a small gym with high ceilings at a reception, which the next one isn't until August. There are 2 more photos of this on Flickr.

DIYdiffuserLG1 by Cheryl3001, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back