Lighting a motorcycle studio shot. Where to begin?

Nightsblood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought the tough decisions were over when I purchased my camera. Apparently....not.

Ive basically been shooting alot of macro stuff and Ive got a couple of handheld lights that Im quite comfortable with but I want to try something different. I would like to try my hand at studio motorcycle photos. Ive got an idea to rent out a small storage unit and the backrounds are pretty self explanatory but the big question becomes....where to start wih the lighting. Ive seen a lot of info on portraits and stuff but very little info on larger inanimate objects with chrome.

Anyway, budget would be around $500 or so, give or take a bit. And, this is strictly for myself and friends. Im not trying to start a business or take over the world. What kinda set ups you thing would get me started?

No, not even that. They are small handheld lights that I use with my macro stuff only. Nowhere near the power to shoot a room or large object. I would be starting from scratch light wise.

Modeling lights would be 1000X's easier then strobes. Google "stick in a can lighting" That guy gives some simple methods for not a lot of cost.

p!nK

Little bit of an unorthodox approach, but you could try light painting, all you need is a torch and a tripod. Check out this guy's site for awesome examples with bikes and cars (annoying flash site unfortunately):
Cory Varcoe Photography

Maybe a really large panel, suspended overhead, and covered with a scrim made of ripstop nylon or silk. At least two flash heads behind it, for even lighting.

Thats kinda the route I was thinking. Constant florescent lightng, one overhead, 2 sides to fill shadows? Close yet?

I was thinking kinda the same thing as Derrel, get a few cheap chinese flashes ($50 each) and a cheap radio trigger (only need one receiver, use optical slave for the rest), and shoot through a white bedsheet either above or to the side. Fire a flash against a white posterboard or wall behind you for fill.... you could do it with 2 flashes, but at least 3 would be ideal. The more you have, the more options are open to you.

Keep it simple, if you are doing it for friends that ride one of them has to have a decent Garage that can be used, or have friends that own motorcycle shops that this can be done at. Couple of strobes with Softliter II's style should work. They now have Chinese knocko offs that you can pick up for a decent price. Large 60" would do you fine for this and any other projects.
-
Shoot well, Joe
-

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back