Lighting and Bounce Diffusers

I'd recommend the Gary Fong Lightspere Universal Cloud Very portable. There is also a collapsible model if you camera bag space is limited.

I used to always use an index card and rubber band, or bounce off wall, ceiling. I kept a stash of rubber bands and index card in my camera case. I bought a Demb just because it looks better than a rubber band an index card.

I think I need to add that the Demb works, it's not perfect but it works quite well.

I went to a David Ziser seminar a few months back and he's shooting a slave through an umbrella held by an assistant. The results he showed look impressive. He had a radio trigger on a Quantum Flash mounted on a monopod. This he had an assistant hold. Looks like an interesting idea.

But back to Fong bashing, if his wedding business was so profitable and successful, why did he quit?

Seriously?

Wow.

So apparently you didn't look at his portfolio? Otherwise if you did, obviously you liked his work or you wouldn't have given him the job - bad on you for firing him because his equipment didn't meet your standards, even though his work did.

His work was fine. His equipment did not have the ability to shoot where we were.
The XTI low light performance was not good enough to look good. And yes at face value it sounds bad. But life goes on. The next Guy had a 1d-MIII (I think thats right)

But back to Fong bashing, if his wedding business was so profitable and successful, why did he quit?
Because selling White plastic cups is much more profitable. I can imagine the markup on those things.
I would assume over all it cost him maybe $2-$3 to make the standard diffuser.

Last edited:
OK so I talk with slang and worked my way up with an XTI shooting live concerts,

I thought it was weddings? One post you say you're a wedding videographer for the most part, then you say you mainly shoot rappers, then you say you shoot cars most of the time . . . get your story straight.

I'm sorry but I'm getting the feeling that your daddy or mommy is rich and bought you all those shiny things so you could post them in a signature and brag in every one of your posts. Your posts more often than not include a statement about one of your pretty lenses or your shiny 1D and 5D. You never post any of your work up and you yourself stated that you're working with a girl that knows how to use the camera. My conclusion: you're trying to pose as a photographer just because you have professional gear and are paying a professional to shoot for you.

Start posting your work and chill down on the bragging of getting that new shiny lens and you'll start getting more respect around here. Nobody likes a bragging brat.

Last edited:
OK so I talk with slang and worked my way up with an XTI shooting live concerts,

I thought it was weddings? One post you say you're a wedding videographer for the most part, then you say you mainly shoot rappers, then you say you shoot cars most of the time . . . get your story straight.

I'm sorry but I'm getting the feeling that your daddy or mommy is rich and bought you all those shiny things so you could post them in a signature and brag in every one of your posts. Your posts more often than not include a statement about one of your pretty lenses or your shiny 1D and 5D. You never post any of your work up and you yourself stated that you're working with a girl that knows how to use the camera. My conclusion: you're trying to pose as a photographer just because you have professional gear and are paying a professional to shoot for you.

Start posting your work and chill down on the bragging of getting that new shiny lens and you'll start getting more respect around here. Nobody like's a bragging brat.

THANK YOU.....

And for the above ill-informed individual The dcitionary has the following to say

Hustle

1. to proceed or work rapidly or energetically: to hustle about putting a house in order.
2. to push or force one's way; jostle or shove.
3. to be aggressive, esp. in business or other financial dealings.
4. Slang. to earn one's living by illicit or unethical means.
5. Slang. (of a prostitute) to solicit clients.

So your a prostitute? You work Fast? You work Illegally? Your very Push and Rude?

So which is it?

None sounds anything like what someone wants in a Pro Photog! :lol::lol::lol:

What he meant by hustle was that he's quick to hand out business cards at an event even if it's taking business from the currently booked photographer.

Sure it's mean and douchy, but I have to admit that in this economy, anyone would be a fool to just pass on customers to someone else. You could be steady at the moment, but the next day you could be broke.

What he meant by hustle was that he's quick to hand out business cards at an event even if it's taking business from the currently booked photographer.

Sure it's mean and douchy, but I have to admit that in this economy, anyone would be a fool to just pass on customers to someone else. You could be steady at the moment, but the next day you could be broke.

I know what he meant. I'm just pointing out that it is a term that is used by very...well..um.... Immature People. I think that describes it best.

I wouldn't recommend taking the homemade stuff to a paid gig, could you imagine the look on the Bride's face. Now there's a Kodak moment. The homemade stuff is good to play and learn from without the investment. But taking a bag full of home made junk to a paid event would be about as classy as trying upstage the paid photographer and passing out business cards at an event or wedding.

I agree with the home made stuff, learning tricks are cool but when your out shooting a gig its a different level, as for spreading out cards I only gave them out to people who requested them, not my fault I made an impression. As a freelance photog I would be a fool to be caught anywhere without my BC's ready to had out. I was asked to bring my camera as well as a friend and covered the "audience behind the scenes perspective." Worked out nice... Another conversation starter I am planning to use is my custom hand pinstriped lens hood! It's workin already and the paint is hardly dry!!! LOL hey I am a hustler what can I say? I take business how I can get it, there is a lot of competition out here. If I was not aggressive I wouldn't be able to afford my equipment at this rate as fast as I am accumulating it with this economy... I have a very aggressive approach and going to hit television marketing and online marketing next... IDEAS? THOUGHTS?

4329919376_c44f985280.jpg

4329918868_0395760323.jpg

You can still see the guides from the grease pencil, those will be cleaned this is hood and cap for my 70-200mm f/2.8L! I love it!!! matched with the colors of lens perfectly. I will post pics with full set up as soon as it's cleaned and finished...

Garbage:thumbdown:

Yep, I agree with that. I think it's ok to do it but to be saying that you hustle clients is just wrong for someone who is ->trying<- to be a professional. I mean, it's ok if you're shooting those imaginary rappers but for shooting those imaginary weddings, it's not. :lmao:

Yep, I agree with that. I think it's ok to do it but to be saying that you hustle clients is just wrong for someone who is ->trying<- to be a professional. I mean, it's ok if you're shooting those imaginary rappers but for shooting those imaginary weddings, it's not. :lmao:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. That is to funny.
HAHAHA!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lol::lol:

AND JUST FYI TO ALL WHO SHOOT WITH AN XTI OR SIMILAR. I AM NOT SAYING YOU CAN SHOOT PAID GIGS. I FIRED MY GUY BECAUSE THE CAMERA HE HAD WAS NOT CAPABLE OF SHOOTING WHERE WE WERE. HE TOLD ME HE WAS A PRO AND I ASSUMED HE HAD PRO GEAR. HE DIDNT SO HE WAS GONE..

Last edited:
For all of those Questioning my Professionalism...

I am a successfull and professional commercial Graphic Designer at www.signsofsuccess.net and engage clients on a daily basis where being well spoken is needed. I am a good salesman and I have never sat on my ass, always working more then one job so to me that is my definition of "hustling." I am also a professional wedding videography and have filmed, edited and produced numorouse weddings, all with more then happy customers who refered me highly by word of mouth. I know how to be professional when I need to be especialy in my transition into photography as a rookie. I let my guard down and just felt that this was a low key, lounge type place where we could be ourselves and maybe let loose a little, but I see I have been checked on that... I can also see that I am not liked here, so be it...

Last edited:
For all of those Questioning my Professionalism...

I am a successfull and professional commercial Graphic Designer at www.signsofsuccess.net and engage clients on a daily basis where being well spoken is needed. I am a good salesman and I have never sat on my ass, always working more then one job so to me that is my definition of "hustling." I am also a professional wedding videography and have filmed, edited and produced numorouse weddings, all with more then happy customers who refered me highly by word of mouth. I know how to be professional when I need to be especialy in my transition into photography as a rookie. I let my guard down and just felt that this was a low key, lounge type place where we could be ourselves and maybe let loose a little, but I see I have been checked on that... I can also see that I am not liked here, so be it...

I don't "not' like you. I don't like your attitude about things. You do your thing and HUSTLE all those people. I'm sure there are plenty of wanna be rapper that need your help for their myspace pages. Your attitude came out as though your a kid whose parents gave him to much money. You claim you hustled your way to what you have and that the stuff you had made you a stud who could act like a spoiled child.The way you come off is not very pleasant or "Professional" Painting your lens caps; while unique, is not very professional. Claiming that you hustle your clients is very far from professional. Your closer to getting a lawsuit from your photography than you are becoming a pro. My advice is simply this. GROW UP AND STOP USING SLANG THAT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A PUNK KID.

I agree with the above statement. It's not that you're not liked. It's that your attitude is annoying. I went from being jealous of your equipment to being totally annoyed every time I stumbled onto one of your "look at my new ___________" threads/posts. You have shinies, we get it.

This place is a very relaxed environment, however, it is filled with professionals as well. A young rookie coming along and using slang that says that you're basically stealing others' customers is bound to piss them off. Like I said above, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive even if it means doing what you did. However, I'm not a pro and have never experienced someone stealing my clients at a paid event and I can imagine that this would eventually rub me the wrong way if I were to shoot a paid gig.

It's ok to use slang if your customers are into that. But if you're in a professional environment with others who aren't, then like the above poster said, grow up and speak proper english.

What pissed me off really (aside from the bragging of gear every 5 minutes), was that you were put off by the thought of not looking professional, yet you follow that up with a painted lens hood and saying that you "hustle" your clients. Hypocritical much?

I will take all of your advice, I because that's what I am here for, and my point for the gary fong was not to "Steal" customers but that people will in fact ask you about what it does because it's so bright and big etc... I think it could be used as an ice breaker in order to hand out your business cards instead of pushing them onto people. It's definately payed it's self on just from getting gigs from it. But, that is besides the point. I am who I am and sorry for the SLANG geez, point taken... I don't have parents that give me money my dad is 100% disabled and my mom is 67 and beginning to need care, all of my finances for the purchases I have been making are from simple XTI shoot, graphic layouts or wedding videos. All my money has been meticulously saved up and I am finally about to enjoy myself and brake out into photography the way I have been wanting to, I don't mean to come off as flaunting shinnies. Felix and Sach, I have taken your words to heart thanks for your advice... Thanks for everyone here that has not judged but actually helped me with my purchases as to not spend my hard earned money in the wrong places. I hope that I will be openly accept here occasion slang at all so that I can continue being a supporting member here...

Most reactions

Back