lighting Question:

PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, not sure if this is the right place for this...

I've been playing with lighting (on a lower level then Light Graffiti) and I've been thinking: Does anyone know an easy way to build a sort of 'wheel' that I could like tack Christmas lights on to and spin them? I've been making due with spinning the actual camera (Rebel XT) but I can't get sharp images..help! I was thinking maybe something like a drill but the drill bit might snap:meh:.

Hope that made some sense,

Phil,

Wow, you have me with that one. Let's hope someone has an idea.

How big? A larger wheel could probably accommodate this with a slow spin and a longer shutter speed.

That or why not battery powered LED's on something similar?

What are you aiming for?

How big? A larger wheel could probably accommodate this with a slow spin and a longer shutter speed.

That or why not battery powered LED's on something similar?

What are you aiming for?

I was thinking like a 4x4 wheel...so, pretty large. Christmas lights were just an example (and seem pretty convenient) but all I think I'd need would be colorful lights that could be tacked onto the wheel [in a circle shape] that you guys are helping me design. Battery-powered LED's don't seem like I'd feel too good about using them, I try to be environmentally friendly in everything that I do. A zillion and one batteries don't seem to fit the bill:meh:. (Unless someone can find the power usage of battery power LED's vs. Christmas lights!:);))

I haven't been able to locate the key component yet, but here's a thought.

Turn a bicycle upside down, remove the front wheel and with a long threaded rod, mount on the outside of the forks. You'll want the threaded rod to be long enough to be secured in the fork's slots and maybe a spacer to make sure the tire freewheels.

Find the key component. A double female power receptacle that rotates on one end (at least). Or a male/female plug that rotates on the female end. Good luck.

Afix the lights to the wheel. You are likely to have to cut the Xmas lights wires to suit and refit another plug end. You don't want a lot of extra cable flapping around.

Plug the afixed lights into the rotating end of this key component and then connect your mains power to the other end.

Just a thought.

Battery powered is going to be far easier than AC and much safer. A frame with streached cloth and a bit of metal behind each magnate to hold it in place and you have almost limitless possibilities for little cost and if you shock yourself, you don't die.

Most reactions

Back