Lighting questionon continuos shots

pondball

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure if I uploaded the photo properly (hope so) but my setup includes two 250 watt constant lights (westlake light kit with two soft boxes)... Front one at 5' height and pointing 45 degrees in, second one at 3' and from 45 degrees behind... No other lights on in room... Not really asking about aesthetics of shot as main concern is to get sufficient lighting to show a 6 shot sequence of the delivery. Clothing will be different so as to illustrate the knee placement to back of heel... I was going to put in a pure white background but for illustration purposes it will be easier to pinpoint locations of delivery according to the shelving behind. Tech stuff Raw 24mm 1/320 F3.5 +.7 ISO 1600. Just noticed that my white balance was set to flourescent 4... Guess I might get. Ore light if I change to a different setting in CS5 or is there something else I need to change in camera... Or add another light? Except it seems there is enough on site. Thanks in advance for any comments. Guess this should be in the lighting section ... Can a moderator please move it over for me... Thanks

Attachments

• $image-1158782562.jpg
    $image-1158782562.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I should also add this was taken without a remote trigger so there is some shakiness it appears... Burst was 3fps.
Another question... Would it be better to shoot closer or with a 50mm?

The question is....are you happy with the result? If not, what/where do you think it's lacking?

the rate of capture of the sequence has nothing to do with the scene's lighting...

With constant lighting, the faster the shutter speed the increased burst rate demands, the less light each burst frame will have.

Your lights deliver 250 watts in 1 second. If your shutter speed is 1/500 per frame so the shutter can stop motion that 1.500 frame will have a lot less light in it because of the very much shorter time.
For burst shot photography 250w is pretty feeble as far as light power goes.
I suspect for a 6 shot burst you'll need more power than 2, 250W constant lights can provide.

Strobe lighting is used to light moving subjects because the duration of the flash of light from a strobe can be very short - which takes over the motion stopping function of a fast shutter speed.
Hot shoe DLSR flash units at full power have flash duration of about 1/1000 and at low power settings can have flash duration of 1/50,000.

But, flash has it's own problems when used in burst mode - the flash re-cycle time.
At full power most hot shoe flash units need from 2 to 10 seconds before they can fire at full power again.
Reducing the power level mitigates the re-cycle time, but by reducing the flash unit power the shutter has to be kept open longer, which may interfere with the burst rate you need.

Most DSLRs have a flash x-sync rate of 1/200 or 1/250, so to use flash at higher shutter speeds you need to use what Canon calls HSS (High Speed Sync) and Nikon calls Auto-FP sync (FP= Focal Plane).
The reason is that at shutter speeds faster than 1/200 or 1/250 the 2 shutter curtains are nit both fully open for an exposure and instead form a moving slit, so the flash unit has to fire multiple times during a single exposure further degrading recycle time and the power out the flash unit can use.

Last edited:
With constant lighting, the faster the shutter speed the increased burst rate demands, the less light each burst frame will have.

Your lights deliver 250 watts in 1 second. If your shutter speed is 1/500 per frame so the shutter can stop motion that 1.500 frame will have a lot less light in it because of the very much shorter time.
I suspect for a 6 shot burst you'll need more power than 2, 250W constant lights can provide.

Strobe lighting is used to light moving subjects because the duration of the flash of light from a strobe can be very short - which takes over the motion stopping function of a fast shutter speed.
Hot shoe DLSR flash units at full power have flash duration of about 1/1000 and at low power settings can have flash duration of 1/50,000.

But, flash has it's own problems when used in burst mode - the flash re-cycle time.
At full power most hot shoe flash units need from 2 to 10 seconds before they can fire at full power again.
Reducing the power level mitigates the re-cycle time, but by reducing the flash unit power the shutter has to be kept open longer, which may interfere with the burst rate you need.

Most DSLRs have a flash x-sync rate of 1/200 or 1/250, so to use flash at higher shutter speeds you need to use what Canon calls HSS (High Speed Sync) and Nikon calls Auto-FP sync (FP= Focal Plane).
The reason is that at shutter speeds faster than 1/200 or 1/250 the 2 shutter curtains are nit both fully open for an exposure and instead form a moving slit, so the flash unit has to fire multiple times during a single exposure further degrading recycle time and the power out the flash unit can use.

How much does a power pack improve recycle times?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

How much does a power pack improve recycle times?
That depends on the power pack used, the make.model of flash unit(s) the power pack is attached to, and the power setting of the flash unit(s) attached to the power pack.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back