Lighting Setup & Specular Highlights

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by smoke665, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    OK I think that perhaps we are overthinking this a little bit, but then again maybe not. Some food for thought: take two diffusing panels and place them as close as possible,or use two fabrics on one panel and shine a light through them. You'll find that adding the second layer of fabric substantially diffuses the light. If howeveryou put one panel in front of the light, and put a second panel 1 foot away you'll have even softer light. The idea that a second layer of diffusion does nothing because the two are basically touching is beyond me. I have to question the idea that the number of layers of diffusion material has no bearing on the quality of light.

2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Being retired has it's luxuries. LOL I just need to figure out to best show/record the results.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    How about one photo from four different lighting set-ups? That should be plenty, just one photo made with each of several different set ups.

4. dennyr

dennyr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  5. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Served me well this weekend:

upload_2019-8-13_8-57-38.png

the huge 3x4' softbox doesn't hurt either...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    All of these made in China fabric light modifiers as well as metallic beauty dishes have really lowered the price. My first soft box was 149.99 ---today A similar unit can be bought from China for around 35 bucks; although the quality is not as good,the price of entry has been lowered dramatically!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    $140 k+ for a softbox, must have been a good one! LOL Sorry, couldn't resist, glad I'm not the only one with big fingers.

To your comment though, yes it's possible to buy the cheap models that will work for the occasional use, but the better quality models will still run you from $150-$300 or more depending on size. While the boxes might not differ much in their ability to reflect light, things like longevity and ease of setup are much better on the more expensive models. When it comes to diffusion material I've found some significant difference between the cheaper cloth and diffusion fabrics, and with the cost difference being so small it really doesn't make sense to go cheap.

8. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am soooooo going to get hammered for this....

given that I have a small amount of experience with sewing and know my way around a Bernina, I was very much on the side of buying alot of lighting eq. for years and then someone said you could rig it a few different ways.

some of them went away through use and a first class wind storm, but...

Ill have to either dig out the pics or post new ones, but I home brewed a few reflectors with tripods from Goodwill with no heads, and made some frames with muslin cloth bleached white of white.

it works.

9. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Nothing wrong with DYI, but as in my previous comment diffusion fabrics are relatively inexpensive, and there's a wide range of types available https://www.amazon.com/ALZO-Nylon-Diffusion-Fabric-Inches/dp/B0019HZQSO to more expensive Diffusion Fabrics from Rose Brand

I found this article interesting on the effect different materials have Diffusion Confusion - The American Society of Cinematographers

10. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Many times have I thought of building a frame and stretching that over. Would make a good outdoor scrim too.

11. mrca

mrca No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I keep permanently up a 7' octa. I have attached the base of the speed ring to the rolling stand with a steel stud. That way the weight and leverage of the octa doesn't weigh on the attachment to the light and I can remove the light to use it on other stands and with other modifiers. I have a carabiner that clips to the light and stand as a safety for the light that is hung off the back of the speedring. Moving something that size is a piece of cake on a rolling stand and setting the octa vertical, it takes up little space pushed up against a wall. Someone mentioned using a large scrim. I do the same with a 6.5' square scrim clamped to a rolling stand. Try wrestling that around alone. I roll it around with one hand. It can be covered with a black/whiter panel for reflector or subtraction or a sheer. Or a sheer over a silver to soften the specularity as a fill. I use a 3x6 with angled legs that is free standing that stays on the shadow side with silver covered with sheer.

• Informative Informative x 1