Lighting starter package

tank121

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's an almost universal truth, especially as related to photographic equipment that anything that calls itself 'professional' most certainly is not. I don't have any first-hand knowlege with those specific items, but I can say based on experience that they're almost certain to be junk. Does it really make sense to trust $20 worth of cold shoe & light stand to support $350+ worth of speedlight & modifier? Look for good quality light-stands with a recognizable brand name. I prefer Manfrotto, but there are lots of others. If money is a concern, look on the used market; Craig's List or your local equivalent is likely to have some good deals on things like that. I would expect to spend at least $50-75 for a stand that was of suitable quality and $25-40 for an all aluminum cold-shoe swivel bracket. You can save up and buy good once, or cheap many times. In the long run...

tank121 said:
I've now purchased the large Rogue Lightbender and looking to get the diffuser too. I now need a cheap stand and shoe to mount my sb700 on. This will be used for friends, family portraits etc inside.

Are the below items any good?

Phot-R 2 m Professional Photography Aluminium Light Amazon.co.uk Camera Photo

Phot-R Professional Swivel Cold Shoe Flash and Amazon.co.uk Electronics

Are there slightly more expensive superior alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

The stand is a going to be a very compact, portable stand, since it is only a 2-meter stand...the "standard" short regular stand is a 7-footer, then 9 is common. But a 4-section, 6 footer....hmmm...the price is low at 14 pounds...the cold shoe umbrella adapter is very small, a verrrrrrry minimalist design, and does not appeal to me,personally. I have the taller types, with longer sections. However, the price is very low. I think this stuff is probably okay for light-duty, careful use. I don't think it can take much abuse or accidental "oopsie!" kind of falls or knock-overs, but then again, the prices are so,so low...one could buy spares very affordably, and if it's lost, unused, stolen, breaks, no big deal. I think it will do the job in light use, no major issues. I doubt that umbrella stand adapter's screws/tighteners will be easy to tighten enough to use a really large umbrella, like say a 60-inch umbrella box....but then, you'd probably be using a more normal; 32-inch or 40-inch umbrella anyway, and it would handle that.

I have been using these for a while and they are very secure with my SB-910 on them.

Amazon.com RPS Studio 3 Section 10 ft. Aluminum Light Stand Photographic Lighting Booms And Stands Camera Photo

As far as umbrella adapters I've been using this one and it works well with everything I have up to a 7' umbrella. I used one of the cheap ones before that had the ball mount on it and it was all it could do to hold the SB-910 and a regular umbrella.

Manfrotto 026 Swivel Umbrella Adapter Lite-Tite 026 B H Photo

You will also need one of these to mount the flash on.

Vello Universal Accessory Shoe Mount CS B H Photo Video

They are a bit more than what you are looking at but they will be there for a long time and are very solid.

This also holds my Flashpoint 320m flash securely with the big umbrella.

Most reactions

Back