Lighting suggestions?

Cedar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been recently offered a few different headshot jobs, and since I have never really been in the field of people, I really have no equipment to do this. I have been a part of a few shoots, and I have shot a few parties and what not, but never anything with lights, alien bees, consistent / flash, light boxes etc. It has sparked my interest.

So I went to the local photo shop and looked around and tried to receive some incite on that exactly I should buy on a tight budget. The gentleman, who actually seemed to know what he was talking about as a few laughs were had, recommended a Speedlight kit from Wescott. (Specifically Speedlite Kit | Westcott Pro Photography and Video Lighting )

Any ideas? I'm just trying to accomplish some decent quality shots with as little money spent as possible. Thank you for any help!

Cheers-
-Cedar

Items I am using;
Canon 50d w/ grip
430EX SpeedLight
A few fixie lens' ranging from 50mm - 100mm.

I also want to mention that I will be using them on location, not in a studio setting.

The Westcott speedlight kit is a softbox that can be used with your flash unit...preferably when it's used off-camera. Of course, to use it off-camera, you have to find a way to fire the flash while it's off-camera...and there are plenty of OCF threads here on the forum.

Analog, that is an awesome website I had no idea existed. Thank you!

Mike, do you have any incite on how well it works if $120 is a decent price point?

Thank you.

Price point seems good to me--you get a 16 inch mini-Apollo, plus the small micro-Apollo, and an eight foot light stand. Not too bad a price for well-made, name-brand lighting gear.

Yes, the price point seems pretty good and I've always heard that it's a good brand...but I'm still thinking that you should do some more reading & learning before you go out and spend a bunch of money.

Go to that strobist site linked above, and read their 'Strobist 101' section. It should give you a good run down of the equipment you will need and want.

For example, these Westcott softboxes are great, but you can get softer light from a simple umbrella....but you have more control over the direction of your lights when using softboxes.

If you haven't experimented with off camera lighting I wouldn't start with a paying gig. If they are friends and know you're just trying some things out then that is a little different. If these are for quality head shots I'd say grab your long lens and use it at it widest aperture. Shoot with the sun to their back but find a dark background( trees work nicely) meter for their faces, and there you have it. Beautiful natural light head shots. The wedding photo on this page was shot like this Over Powering the Sun Craze « Nakean Photography writing from my phone right now so please excuse the spelling and short post.

Hi everybody, I'm a photo student and I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas for some creative at home lighting.

Yes this was shot at home, 580ex from behind , 1.4m octobox and 400w studio flash camera right and reflector camera left
1234178490_m6WJz-L.jpg

Most reactions

Back