Lighting thoughts for small group photo booth.

source

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend has asked me to set up a small photo-booth for his wife's upcoming 40th birthday.

I will be using a pop-up background stand with cloth background. I'm going to be located in the basement, with maybe a 8ft high ceiling. What in your esteemed opinions would be the best off camera lighting set-up to ensure a nice spread over individuals as well as groups of up to 5 people?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What kind of equipment do you have?

For just 5 people I imagine a shoot through umbrella with a speed light above the camera would be fairly adequate. Get up as high as you can in the basement and point it towards the average neckline and you have yourself a decent setup.

Kind of hard to answer the question without knowing what you have to work with.

Small groups like that can probably be lighted with a speedlight and umbrella. Get a stand and some way to trigger the light.

Thanks for the thoughts. Gonna go with 2 580exiis with umbrellas. Set up at 45' to the talent and level with the camera. Triggered with pocket wizards or similar.

Can't think of any issues with that setup.

Thanks again!

Last year I did a photo booth as well. Used a large Octa softbox behind the camera. Gives you a wonderful light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back