Lighting up the crowd!

jonathantesoro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
justcthroughmyeyes.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I just finished up my second term of College.

I'm beginning to do a lot of research into Lighting.

I have a quick question in terms of achieving a similar outcome as this photo:

images
(Source: Google Images)

I have a 430 EX II, would you recommend not using a diffuser (in this case I have a Gary Fong...............)?

Thanks.

(I do not own this image; I found this image using Google Images, Credits to the Photographer)

ps; I know posting someone else is image is against the forum rules, but I know it is also a hassle to click a link and some members prefer to see the product within the post. That is why I provided a source to the image (if that is enough). I apologize if this still crosses out any rules the forum may have in terms of showing exemplars.

Looks like that was shot with available light coming down on the singer and crowd from above. I recently did my 1st event ever (with nasty light from above) and shot no flash too.

577792_3252350582252_1071635590_2899105_816126407_n.jpg

528794_3252350902260_1071635590_2899106_235248750_n.jpg

463906_3252353782332_1071635590_2899116_457344296_o.jpg

Consider getting a cheap monopod and a wireless trigger setup.

You'll need an assistant. Put the flash w/trigger on the monopod and have your assistant hold it over the crowd, you- whatever.

I'd go bare flash for this. You can get really creative with what you bounce the flash off of and all the different angles. Have fun.

2Wheel: Awesome shots. I got some tips when shooting at a venue/show type, most of the time you'd just take advantage of the visual lights and stuff.

Mike_E: Ahh I see, I do have a decent Monopod that has yet to be used, I don't have a wireless trigger. I'm guessing I would have the Camera mounted on the Monopod and then my flash connected and probably use a 2 sec timer lol, one question I have is; would you recommend using a diffuser like a Gary Fong in this case. Just to try and light up everything?

If you have remote flash triggers you could get two flashes and set one up on each side of the stage pointed out towards the crowd. Not hard to do but you need a bit of gear. But some radio triggers and an extra flash will be a good investment if you want to spend the money.

2Wheel: Awesome shots. I got some tips when shooting at a venue/show type, most of the time you'd just take advantage of the visual lights and stuff.

Mike_E: Ahh I see, I do have a decent Monopod that has yet to be used, I don't have a wireless trigger. I'm guessing I would have the Camera mounted on the Monopod and then my flash connected and probably use a 2 sec timer lol, one question I have is; would you recommend using a diffuser like a Gary Fong in this case. Just to try and light up everything?

Either way, the camera on the monopod or the flash or both.

You can use these either to trigger the flash, the camera or both if you have two receivers.. Amazon.com: Yongnuo 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Control RF-602 N1 for Nikon D1/D2/D3/D200/D300/D700: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back