Lighting

JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I'm looking at this lighting set on Ebay.....It would cost around $150.00 and come with the following:

2 x 7 feet light stands
1 x Background light stand

2 x Heavy Duty backdrop supporting tripods 9ft

4 x sectional cross bars 10ft wide

1 x Deluxe carrying case for backdrop stands

3 x swivel light AC umbrella holder sockets

2 x 32" shoot through soft umbrellas

3 x 35w Photographic perfect day light bulbs
1 x Master slave strobe 45w each(sync cord is included)

1 x Slave strobe 45w each

1 x 6'x9' BLACK 100% muslin backdrop
1 x 6'x9' White 100% muslin backdrop

What do you all think? I'm used to just using the natural light from windows, but it's really becoming a pain. Here is a recent photo I took that could have been way better imo if I had some lighting!!

3920505210_86d4ca1c43.jpg

I think you did a great job on the baby portrait using window light.

I have never used those AC Master Slave type strobes, which look sort of like a lightbulb dome. The kit you're getting seems to be a mixture of flash units and also some daylight bulbs, which I am thinking will require somewhat slower shutter speeds, or higher ISO settings, in order to pick up the light from their continuous output. I don't know what to think about this type of lighting gear--it is low cost, and the Morris Company has manufactured these types of products for several decades now.

If you are used to working with window lighting, you might like to make a couple of 42x78 inch PVC pipe panels and fit them with white transparent fabric, to simulate window lighting, and to use as reflectors. Two identically sized panels clipped together will make a self-supporting V-panel. Having one fabric that is black is also handy, to stop light from going where you do not want it to go,and for preventing the light from flaring your lens. It would allow you to keep working with somewhat the same "type" of lighting, except that instead of being dependent upon the sun and the weather, you could shoot as many or as few lights through the white fabric as needed, and create your own window-type lighting effects even after the sun has gone down. The soft,diffused, soft-shadow lighting effect from North Light studio windows can be imitated by shining any type of light source through a large,semi-transparent fabric or material. Using these panels,also known as scrims, or diffusion panels, you will be able to have some control over the light,based on how far the light is positioned from the scrim fabric itself.

If you ant a bit of info on panel use, check out the lightingmagic.com web site--he has used diffusion panels for over 25 years. It's a beautiful type of lighting,and since you're already good with window lighting,yet recognize what a hassle it can be when the sun doesn't cooperate or goes down at the end of its shift each and every day, you would probably immediately be able to leverage that type of lighting *immediately*.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back