Lightroom 3 spot removal problems

rambler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I have been trying to brush out small areas without success. I goto the spot removal tool, get the bull's eye to the right size and spot. Get the second circle to go out over the color I want blended in. Then I click on the circle over the area I want removed and press "delete" key. A sound goes off and puff clouds appear over the spot, BUT the spot has not changed. It is still there. (Actually I am trying to get rid of white fuzzy hairs along a neckline) I have the area zoomed in. What am I doing wrong?

you click the spot you want to remove, it will automatically find an area to replace it with. Usually the area you are replacing is not where you want it. Then just adjust where you are cloning from. Use your mouse and move it around.

Use LR3 only to rmove round spots. If you have long shaped object (like hair), you need to use photoshop.

Thanks, Schwettylens. I will be disappointed if I cannot do this task in Lightroom.
Here is what I am trying to do: Note white hair along back of neck and left edge of face between nose and mouth.
male 2B | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Lightroom's main function isn't image editing. That's why people that do advanced image editing have both Photoshop CS and Lightroom.

Yup, it will be very messy to do it on LR3. It is only meant for removing dots. Little birth mark, acne, dust spot, dirty sensor.

not sure if this has anything to do with it, but that tool has 2 modes...clone and heal.
try it set on clone if it isnt already. and there should be no need to hit delete. one circle is the affected area, the other is the source.

*edited to add*

agree with others that suggest pshop for that level of manipulation. ive gone as far as removing a tripod in LR3, but it was a pain in the ass, and would have gone smoother in photoshop.

With Lightroom open to the Develope module: CLICK ON the "Help" tab and then in the drop down box click on "Lightroom Help".

If you do have access to Photoshop CS5, then you might want to look at the functionality of something called "Content aware fill". I have LR3 and CS5 and use this functionality quite a bit when what I want to "remove" is a more than just dust spots on the sensor.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Its only good for small details work. Once it get a bit more complex, i use photoshop but usually i dont even bother doing it in LR. I do all my clean up work in photoshop. its alot fast, has the alot more tools and its alot more flexible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back