Lightroom and internet

You are most welcome, greybeard! And yes, Adobe DNG Converter works very well.

I have what Derrel described except I got Photoshop, a one time purchase; no subscription for me! My digital camera is DNG so I guess that simplifies things. I have photos on media cards, the computer, and an external hard drive. I'm not putting my work and talent on a cloud. (I'm not turning it over to anyone or anything else.)

I also have photos on negatives, Polaroids... in sleeves and boxes.

BTW, the Adobe "cloud" version doesn't require that you be online to use it. You just need to have signed into the cloud within the past month. Once each 30 days it checks to make sure you still have an active subscription and it goes into read-only mode if your subscription lapses (or if it can't reach the cloud to verify the active subscription).

The annoying part of this is that it means that before you disconnect from the Internet to travel, you do want to make sure that you sign-out and sign-back-in to their cloud to refresh your token. Otherwise you can find that your 30-day token expired in the middle of a trip.

The software *only* needs enough internet to let you sign in so it can validate your subscription ... not a lot of bandwidth. If you have a phone with an internet tethering plan included, you could use your mobile internet just long enough to let the software refresh the token.

I often have my Microsoft 360 service bug me for activation confirmation when I travel where I do not have an internet connection. I am still using LR v6.12 (I think there is a v6.14 as the final version available) so no internet connection needed. On a new installation, I would just go with Lightroom CC Classic as the standalone version is very well hidden on the Adobe site (and really just there for those that bought the standalone version in the past and need the install software).

Over the years I've spent a ton of money for the privilege of owning a "licence" to software. When I updated computers a lot of that went by the wayside, requiring me to buy the new and improved. For about the price of a meal at a local fast food place every month I get Lr, Ps, and Bridge updated every time a new version comes out. For that I also get it on two computers and mobile if I want. New computer, no problem, it's there and ready. I liked the rental approach so well that I switched to it on Office. Like others I want nothing to do with my data on their cloud.

Like it or not the subscription model is the way of the future as more and more software companies go to it. I've already gotten notification that two of the financial software I use are switching.

For now over the long term it pretty much equals out for me on cost to own vs subscription.

Last edited:
Thing is a lot of software companies found that they'd put a lot of resources into support and development but that once people had something that worked they'd be reluctant to spend out on an upgrade. Heck we've all seen shops and workplaces that are using ancient computers and programs WAY out of date because it works and because there's no pressure to update (and because any update would come with either dumping all the old data or a very long and slow period of copying it over - possibly by hand as the old software is so ancient it won't be compatible with newer systems)

A subscription model gives the company a steady income instead of haphazard and means that everyone is encouraged to update and keep paying. The company thus can last long term as it gets a trickle feed of income. OF course its also generally much MORE profitable for the company too. Since going subscription Adobe has way more customers than they ever did with their major software.

They only go on the cloud if you have the cloud based version. There are two versions available...I have desktop "classic" version I think it's called.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back