Lightroom and internet

Winona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I can work on Lightroom/photoshop without internet. But, will those pictures then upload into the cloud when I access internet and become useless to me? Or can I keep accessing them off line. I went to put it on my Mac book Pro this weekend. We have horrible internet. Really keeps me from doing much of anything. I went away this weekend and was actually able to go through my trip photos and videos from June and July. ( on the iPad and iPhone). I have a backlog of pictures that I can’t even look at. Ugh!

If anyone has internet ideas I would appreciate it as well. AT&T barely works. I have Consumer Cellular which barely works. Frontier is our local internet provider and IT IS HORRIBLE.

Get a stand-alone, "non-subscription" version of Lightroom, which is what I use. It requires NO internet connection to function! I keep the photos on my own hard drives. There is absolutely zero need for internet,no need for WiFi,no need for "the cloud".

Do they still offer that? I didn't do a ton of research when I decided to get lightroom but I thought it was all subscription based now.

However, I know there is Lightroom CC, which is cloud based and what you may be thinking of, but there is also Lightroom CC Classic. I use classic and I import from my computer and save to my computer. No cloud. If you pay for the subscription, I think they give you both, just use Classic and you can choose where to save your photos to.

The LR/PS 10$/month subscription includes a version of Lightroom that runs and stores files on your computer(or the Cloud if you want), also a version of Photoshop that runs and stores files on your PC (or the Cloud if you want) AND the last piece is a version of Lightroom that works on the Cloud so you can access your files from anywhere using any of your devices.
I use Photoshop CC all the time, Lightroom rarely and Lightroom CC (Cloud version) never. Didn't even download and install it.

Lightroom 6 is still available. This specific example of this version is for USA-address customers only, and is $149, and the buyer will _own_ the software. In 15 months it will pay for itself, whereas the subscription-based version will continue to add its monthly tithe to your finances. In three years at $10 a month for the right to use Adobe's software, one will have payed $360 for a $149 program. In five years, one will have payed $600 for a $149 program.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 (Download) 65237402 B&H Photo Video

But the BEST thing is-no need for an internet connection every 30 days to make sure you've payed your bill or that your credit or debit card number has not changed. No need to be within internet range when Adobe decides to ping you,and the software stops functioning until you get back into internet connection. Want to go on vacation and use Lightroom without Adobe making sure you've payed the monthly extortion payment? Buy a stabdalone version and use that.

I agree that buying the 149.00 stand alone version is the way to go. The one problem with the stand alone is updates for RAW conversions. I bought Lightroom 5, four-five years ago and it will not update for RAW conversion with my Nikon D7500. I have to convert my RAW's to .tif's with ViewNX-i and then edit them in my Lightroom 5. I'm debating with myself whether to buy Lightroom 6 or just keep on doing things the way I'm doing them and save $149.00. I believe that the prescription version comes with automatically updates.

What happens to cloud based images when you stop paying the subscription. Are they your property or adobes.

What happens to cloud based images when you stop paying the subscription. Are they your property or adobes.
They are your property but you will not be able to access them.

If you intend to stop your subscription you need to download your images first.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

A better way than converting images to .Tiff is to use Adobe's free .DNG Converter software application and convert them to DNG format, which is smaller than.TIF in terms of storage space needed. This is what I do since I am using a 2013 version of Lightroom and a much newer camera. I convert my Nikon D800 NEF raws to DNG automatedly, in a batch, which is super easy to do. I then import the converted files using Lightroom.

Thanks for the great information. But, I got lost when we were talking about DNG, etc. lol. I do plan to get a newer camera, but it sounds like it will work with the standalone LR.

It seems like half of photographers use LR and half PS. Some both and I know there are many other programs. If I am correct LR is good at organizing and adjusting color, hues, etc. while PS can do the same plus remove unwanted areas and adjust contrast in certain spots I choose. I know there are many other features.

Well, just answered most of my curiosity in the link above for LR 6. Looks like it has what I need for my amateur hobby.

A better way than converting images to .Tiff is to use Adobe's free .DNG Converter software application and convert them to DNG format, which is smaller than.TIF in terms of storage space needed. This is what I do since I am using a 2013 version of Lightroom and a much newer camera. I convert my Nikon D800 NEF raws to DNG automatedly, in a batch, which is super easy to do. I then import the converted files using Lightroom.
Do you have a link to download this program?

I agree that buying the 149.00 stand alone version is the way to go. The one problem with the stand alone is updates for RAW conversions. I bought Lightroom 5, four-five years ago and it will not update for RAW conversion with my Nikon D7500. I have to convert my RAW's to .tif's with ViewNX-i and then edit them in my Lightroom 5. I'm debating with myself whether to buy Lightroom 6 or just keep on doing things the way I'm doing them and save $149.00. I believe that the prescription version comes with automatically updates.
Adobe does not go back and update earlier versions of their RAW processor for new cameras. They only create the RAW converter for the latest version of lightroom. You'll need lightroom v6.12 for d7500 support.

I had to go to Lightroom v6 for the Nikon D500. that is one driving factor for upgrading, is if you buy a newer camera. I had to go to v5 when I bought my D750, from v4 (d7000 & d600) all due to the RAW/NEF converter support.

Otherwise convert to DNG.

As you can tell I don't own the CC version either. I don't use it enough to warrant a monthly fee forever. Pay once and use is what I prefer.

I'm subscribed to Adobe for both Lightroom and Photoshop and I don't have a single photo in the Cloud. Everything is local side and I can access my photos whenever I want. I would need lightroom to access the converted RAW versions made within it and I do need photoshop or elements to access the photoshop files that I make from my edits - but all the resized for internet JPEGs and the original RAWs are fully accessible if I never use an adobe product ever again.

The cloud is a great idea if you want some additional backup and/or you also use multiple machines in different places and want to transfer photos between them and always work on the same version. Eg if you have work and home desktop computers you could edit a photo at work and save it to the cloud and continue working on that very same edited version at home if you wanted. You can also use it to share photos within a team environment.

So the Cloud has its uses, but if you don't need to use it you don't have to at all and Lightroom won't push you to use it.

I agree that if you're using a modern digital camera then chances are the subscription is the best approach; a small cost each month for the hobby (totals less per month than most would spend on film developing). I say that as someone who does prefer to own software and products I buy, but the Adobe setup works well for my needs.

Do you have a link to download this program?
Never mind, I found it. Works like a champ, thank you so much.

Most reactions

Back