TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi all,

I recently upgraded Lightroon CC 2015 to Lightroom CC classic which required a catalogue update. Upon inspection of the new catalogue it seems that it has converted some .cr2 raw files into .tiff for some reason. Has anyone else experienced this or have any info?

The only files I have that are .tiff are ones edited in an external program like Photoshop or the NIK collection then saved back for Lightroom.
I haven't experienced any seemingly random tiff creation.

Check to see if the .cr2 file of the same file is still available as well. If both are there it is likely the case above. If the .cr2 file is missing, I have no idea what is happening.

Last edited:
thanks mate, I'll give it a check when I'm next at my computer. That does sound resonable and I know I did some cloning on photoshop for one of them. I don't tend to create a lot of tiffs so it had me a bit confused. Working across a couple of catalogues doesn't help either!

Unless you use an external converter, it is my understanding that Lr imports the raw file extension. Once in Lr as stated above if you open in the image in an external editing software then Lr automatically converts it based on the settings you have checked in your preferences. (Edit>preverences>external editing>file format) Your options for Ps are TIFF and PSD. Your options for Nik are TIFF, JPEG, and PSD. This is also where you set the color space, bit depth, resolution and compression to use on the external editing software.

Unless you use an external converter, it is my understanding that Lr imports the raw file extension. Once in Lr as stated above if you open in the image in an external editing software then Lr automatically converts it based on the settings you have checked in your preferences. (Edit>preverences>external editing>file format) Your options for Ps are TIFF and PSD. Your options for Nik are TIFF, JPEG, and PSD. This is also where you set the color space, bit depth, resolution and compression to use on the external editing software.

Thanks mate, I checked it and right enough it was set to tiff

Thanks guys, right enough I'd done some cloning in the ones that were converted to .tiff. The thing that confused me was the edits are not showing in the thumbnails until I view them in loupe so what I was seeing was the original raw file thumbnail and the edited tiff which made it appear like I'd lost edits

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back