Lightroom fans, LR4 Beta has been announced

I don't know about the official announcement, but the tweets from Adobe really seamed to be hyping the Geo-tagging aspect of LR4.
I can see a use for it, but is this really something that most photographers want? or is it something they've added...just because they can? I can think of more photographers who want to hide the location where the photos were taken, than those who might want to include that with the file.

I don't know if I'll use that specific feature, but can't wait to use some of the other features included with the new software. Just when i didn't think LR could get any better.....

The WB adjustment brush sounds pretty interesting.

Yeah, it could really save the day, if you forgot the flash gels to match ambient WB =)

It would really depend on what you're trying to correct. If it's a person who is lit from one side by tungsten and another side by flash, then it might be hard to get a nice result. If it it's something more clear cut, like a wall that is off, it should be nice and easy to correct the WB for that specific area.

I just watched a 20 minute video from Michael Richmann at L.L. about the new features. Looks pretty good.

It would really depend on what you're trying to correct. If it's a person who is lit from one side by tungsten and another side by flash, then it might be hard to get a nice result. If it it's something more clear cut, like a wall that is off, it should be nice and easy to correct the WB for that specific area.

I just watched a 20 minute video from Michael Richmann at L.L. about the new features. Looks pretty good.

Can you please post the link?

Ok so far I see no way to Rotate Video in Library or Develop...and that's where I want to do this...

Geotagging - yay! Sure it's not a photography related feature, but I'd love to see my photos visualized on a map.

Can you please post the link?
This one, I guess ;)

[video=vimeo;34742069]http://vimeo.com/34742069[/video]

I don't know about the official announcement, but the tweets from Adobe really seamed to be hyping the Geo-tagging aspect of LR4.
I can see a use for it, but is this really something that most photographers want? or is it something they've added...just because they can? I can think of more photographers who want to hide the location where the photos were taken, than those who might want to include that with the file.

With the amount of manipulation possible from a digital file these days, it may be that photojournalist need to prove their location for the photos the submit????

I don't want to show my locations though....

With the amount of manipulation possible from a digital file these days, it may be that photojournalist need to prove their location for the photos the submit????

I don't want to show my locations though....
You can't prove anything with a geotag since it's pretty easy to change. Most cameras don't support it, so you end up adding it yourself in post anyway. It's more of a cataloging feature, like keywording. I always strip out all the metadata when exporting my photos in LR, so I wouldn't share any location.

I feel with some of the changes that a different user group is being assembled. Particularly after reading the LR4 Beta Forum.

For example I am seeing a lot about iPhone uploads.

So similar to other Social Media where tagging is an option, I think less for a pro and more for a casual user who wants to use that feature for fun.

Adobe says the idea is for batch processing and filing. Ok, makes some sense.

I think Adobe is reaching for a new user/casual user with this upgrade and I think they are going to get it.

I think Adobe is reaching for a new user/casual user with this upgrade and I think they are going to get it.
I'm not sure, with the price of about $300 it's hard to get casual user's attention. I think the $100 elements is as high as it gets. Of course it depends how we define a 'casual user' ;)

Learn a little about Lightroom then go back to CameraRaw or Bridge.... this software is a steal. Especially at student discount prices

I DL'd this morning and only briefly looked....they moved things around a bit, they did. So when this is out of Beta is it going to be a free update or is that simply retarded :D

Learn a little about Lightroom then go back to CameraRaw or Bridge.... this software is a steal. Especially at student discount prices
For a photographer - no doubt, Lightroom is very reasonably priced. For a casual P&S and Facebook user - not really. How many casual users you know use paid software like the Elements? How many of them would spend $300 on this type of software? Especially when they have a camera worth $300 or less.

I suspect Adobe had the true hobbyists/pro in mind when they developed this, not the FB or Bestbuy crowd.

Most reactions

Back