Lightroom Organizing Disaster...Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by nerwin, Dec 21, 2015.

1. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

What about photos you don't remember where you took them? Do you add location data to EVERY photo in your catalog even if it's a picture you took at your desk? Or just larger shoots?

I'm sure you have a lot more pictures than do as I don't do photography professionally yet..but it just seems an overkill to me and very complicated system. I probably watched 200 YouTube on this subject and still don't know what to do. I know everyone has "their" way to doing this while it works for them, it may not work for me. So I guess I just need to find my own way of doing it that works for me because that's all that really matters.

I really thank you for help me on this Dave.

2. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

I usually give a location keyword at Import and whatever other general keywords are applicable to the full import. Outside of that I generally do not expand on keywords for shots that do not get a star and/or Exported. Exported shots usually have a Title and Caption added.

Sometimes you never know what you might want to find. Had some friends that my wife and I got to know at a time when their father was up in age but active. We did a number of things like boat rides and such. A year later he gets cancer and dies and one of the daughters asks if I have a photo of her dad to have at the funeral home. It would have helped to have his name as a keyword, but a search of the trip names turned up some shots with him and then went to the Folders by dates and added his name as a keyword on the shots with him, then did a filter using his name and from that selected the best image that could be photoshopped for their needs. So while it would be nice to keyword everything, you may find it is not economical time-wise as some basic info can get you close enough later on when you can justify looking for the shot.

Also, before going off and adding a bunch of metadata you want to read up on that so you include information that people who search for photos look for and to standardize on words so you don't end up with things like Robert and Uncle Bob when it's the same person, I have plenty of cases like that. And use plural form for most keywords; i.e: Desks is better then desk because if someone asks you to bring them some pictures of desks you will not find anything if you only search for desks when your keyword was desk, however if your keyword is desks and you search for desk you will have results.

3. nerwin

I don't export any of the keywords because I like to add those myself when uploading a photo to Flickr.

Right now, I have about 800 photos in a folder for home renovations and half of them were raw files (whoops) so I imported them into Lightroom and during the import screen I added a "Home Renovations" keyword to the photos because I want to make a collection of all the projects that have been done around the house. From there I'll probably go through them and delete any useless ones like out of focus shots or ones that are no longer needed.

I have another folder that has yet been imported and its full of pictures of my dog Clyde, what tags would you use? "clyde, dogs" Or "clyde, dog, pet"?

Hmm.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  4. Dave442

My dogs usually just get: animals, pets, dogs, and their name.

For the home renovations I don't see a problem that it was RAW. I think it is faster to just bring into LR, flag those to delete, rate the keepers. For the keepers I would add a specific Title (i.e.: front entrance, old bathroom, new bathroom, etc) and a general Caption for all, and then in Export I would use the Filename_Title in my Custom Setting for the file name and also check the Put in Subfolder box and put Home Renovations and then export the small jpgs to that directory in my Developed/Year parent directory.

5. nerwin

The renovation pictures are not even worthy of a rating, most of them are just snapshots I took, some were with a DSLR but only a few. 80% of them were cropped to 1000px previously so there really isn't much to do with them. I also have similar photos that me and other people took during the restoration of car. They are photos that I don't plan to edit they are pretty much for documentation and to look back on. So I'm thinking about creating a folder that's called "Legacy Photos" and put them all in there and not bother having them inside of Lightroom.

Is your keywords list setup as a hierarchy?

In case you didn't know, I have very bad OCD. Hahaha

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  6. nerwin

@Dave442 I have a few pictures of this really nice looking barn here in VT during the summer. I tagged it with "Barns, Vermont, Summer". Would you take it like this? Should I add a Landscape tag as well?

Here's the picture of the barn by the way..one of my very first pictures! Took this with a crappy Sony superzoom p&s.

Erwin-080615-02627.jpg

7. Dave442

Like the barn shot. With tags you can go crazy. I would add Red as many people only want a Red Barn.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nerwin

I tried the folder structure you suggested, but I really didn't like it. So many folders I had to go through. I can't understand if you had tagged everything previously so stuff was easy to find for you..but I didn't and its just a mess. I just prefer to give a folder a name of the subject.

A lot of my photos pre 2009 has wrong capture date, so photos that were shot in 2008 were marked with 2004 because the internal battery of the camera died and so the date never stayed when you took the battery out to charge it. Most of these photos are from home renovation projects and a car restoration project. I just don't know if I even need these images in lightroom...but then again some people think of using Lightroom has a library for ALL their photos. I just don't know what to do with these images that have wrong capture date.

Once I get the WHOLE catalog organized, then it will be easy when imported new stuff.

9. Dave442

My shots from before 2010 are just in a 2010 folder and many of those are in folders with names of the event. Only from 2010 and on am I using the Year and then every day folders as that is when I started using LR and taking better care to keyword the images.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nerwin

I suppose I could do that. I made a folder called "#Pre-2009" - I put the pound sign so it would stick above the 2010 folder. I am really making this folder structure thing more complicated than it needs to be I think haha.

I don't think every day folders work for me, I just prefer to dump all my photos of my cat I took in march into a folder one folder under march. That works for me. But like others have said, I just need to figure out what works for me.

11. Dave442

The problem I have is there is often no one top subject in my photos. So, I may have the cat sitting on the bed, but then the cat with the kid and then the cat with the dog. That is the main reason I moved away from trying to make folders with names, over time I found the main subject changed.

With keywords I can pull any of those together, and along with a date filter show just that one month of photos of either the cats or the dogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

use keywords, dont worry much about the folder name. Although whatever you name the folder will be added as a keyword.

Naming them helps when you need to go back to a particular shoot instead of having to remember a date.

Keywords worked well fo rme afte rmy cat passed, I wanted to look at every single picture I've taken of her -- I type in Belle and I can see every picture of I have of her since 2002.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1