Lightroom Organizing Disaster...Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by nerwin, Dec 21, 2015.

1. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

So I could just do the automatic folder naming that LR does on import and if there is important shoot or event I could give the folder a name but if its just random stuff around my house, I can just leave it be and add tags to the photos.

Back to tagging again...if I take a picture of a cake, I can add the tags "cake, food" but if it's a wedding cake, I could add "wedding cake, food"?

I'm still trying to figuring out this keywording thing, its a lot different than Flickr because with Flickr I add tags for SEO and SEO doesn't matter in Lightroom. I think the keywords in Lightroom should be used for you to find the photos you want.

@Dave442 You mentioned earlier that you like to add an S to some keywords like your desk analogy. I tried this, I have many pictures of my desk, and I just keyword them with Desk and searched for Desks and all the pictures of desks with the keyword Desk showed up even though I searched for Desks. So I'm not entirely sure if adding the S will make much difference.

2. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm not sure what you mean by automatic folder naming that LR does. On import, I tell LR where to look and where to put.

Keywords in LR are used for whatever purpose you decide you need them for.

3. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Interesting, I just tagged a shot with Table and when I filter for Tables it does not turn up. I am using LR 5.6 in case they made some changes with CC. In general any search the more specific the more you filter out. Are you in the Library Module in Grid Layout and using the Library Filter for Text?

When you put in the filter selections you want you can then use the LOCK to keep the filter selection active as you look in other Folders (remember to unlock when done).

4. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    Because the word desk is included in the word desks. There are options that can filter exactly what you want to be included or not included (hard to think of where they are since I don't have LR in front of me at the moment).

5. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    keywords arent tags. keywords will help you find your own photos through search. tags will help you categorize and organzie your photos online through metadata.

I might keyword a picture Pookie.

but tag it: cat, fluffy, persian

• Like Like x 1
  6. nerwin

You can have Lightroom to automatically apply a date based folders structure when importing photos. I suspect this is what @Dave442 does.

autofolders.PNG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nerwin

I just wish there was an option to automatically disable "include keywords on export" when every time you create a keyword.

8. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit
    Okay gotcha. As long as I know I'm still telling it to do even that.

9. nerwin

@Dave442 I hope you don't me picking your brain.

I'm just curious, how would you keyword a storm photo?

Like this one for an example.

Erwin-150704-.jpg

10. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

I would follow with the plural so it would be Stormy and Clouds, to that I would probably add Thunder, Rain and Sky (where I don't use the plural).

I tend to take more shots of field crops, so my keywords for a photo like that would actually be more focused on that as that is what I would probably search for.

11. nerwin

It seems like a lot of work but then again once I keyword everything and rate most stuff, it won't be so bad when I Import next time. To keyword 10,000 photos it sure does takes a long time, haha.

12. JacaRanda

Photos OK to edit

This is just me, but unless you have a gazillion photos that important to you - keyword for the most part going forward. Not worth spending precious life keywording a gazillion photos you won't every do anything with, or that you will create again likely better than before. If you are bored and have lots of time on your hands....as you were. :)