Lightroom Practice

when I first started learning LR I would do "Auto" adjust. look at the settings and the photo. Then do a <ctrl> Z to Undo it .. then try adjusting the settings that I want to adjust.

and another handy thing. As you go through each photo.
P to tag the photo
U to untag
X - to mark the photo (really bad ones .. OOF, etc)
Then in the menu you can delete all X marked photos from disk

Then you can set filters to Tagged and only the Tagged photos will show. Highlight them all then Export.

I'm really starting to enjoy LR ... I had it for a year before I even started used it.

Oh yeah, the Auto almost ALWAYS exposes mine too bright. Washed out almost! But I do a lot of what you list. In fact, changing and improving the order of my "workflow", I've found that I seldom have to worry about the Exposure setting now. Maybe a tad sometimes, but not near as much as before I buckled down the last few days and figured out 3 or 4 of the basics, at least. Thanks!

You don't have any guesses? lol

Well, I'm sure the usual, basic things, like highlights, shadows, etc. But when I say I'm a complete newbie to it, I'm serious. I mean, I wasn't expecting a free 2-week course on it or anything, but other than importing my raws, individually adjusting the highlights and shadows, then applying some clarity, then a little sharpening, that's about all I know. So, you adjusted my adjusted image, and it looked better, so there is something I have to be missing!

One of my favorite quotes. "Sometimes less is more."

Are you familiar with the difference between global and local edits?

Two global adjustments I make to virtually ever Raw file are to add Clarity and Vibrance. How much of each I add varies, but .........

I use Photoshop CC Camera Raw way more than I use LR, but Camera Raw and LR's Develop module are the same software - Adobe Camera Raw, or ACR.

Yes, I'm familiar with local and global. Using local, I think they're called a "pin"? The little dot thingy. I'm just not learned enough to use them effectively yet. The "selection" options, or how to "select" a local edit, is where I seem to get somewhat lost. And yes, I almost always add clarity and vibrance. I think I've learned that if I use too much of them, I have to turn down the saturation a bit. However, I am getting it, albeit slowly. Each time I figure out something new, it's a mini celebration! Thanks again!

You might want to take a peek at the curves tool, and see what can be accomplished with it; it is a powerful tool, and I think that after a couple of days practicing with it, you will see that it can make photos look "just so" in a way that other tools do not. Keep the faith! Rome wasn't built in a day!

You might want to take a peek at the curves tool, and see what can be accomplished with it; it is a powerful tool, and I think that after a couple of days practicing with it, you will see that it can make photos look "just so" in a way that other tools do not. Keep the faith! Rome wasn't built in a day!

Oh yeah, I've played with that too!! Actually, I've probably "played with" most of the tools, but now I'm getting serious about "why and what" each tool does. I watched a good video on the curves the other day, and it's slowly sinking in.

I post a lot of my struggles here in hopes that they will help other newbies too. I'm way past the worry of looking like a fool, don't ya know!!

Here's where I went with it. The color just didn't speak to me, so I converted it to B&W in Silver Efex..

Cheers!
Jake

I like the B&W but needs more white/contrast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back