Not open for further replies.

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I successfully moved my catalog (I thought), but as I started editing more from four days of shoots, it started slowing down, and becoming "unresponsive", till it finally got the to point of useless. This would happen in the Develop mode as it would try to update brush adjustments, when I'd switch to another image, or when I tried to switch views. I tried doing a reset preferences, no help. Checked all the things I could think of, and was almost to the point of uninstalling and reinstalling LR, when I thought I'd try a new catalog. Set up a test catalog, imported images, and it works fine again?????????

I'm at a loss as to why it started doing what it did. Is it possible my catalog was corrupted???? I deleted several old images out of my files recently, but I always optimized catalog after doing the deletes. I was going to restore a backup but there were several new edits, that weren't on the last backup. So now I'm questioning whether to just lose the most recent edits, and go to the last backup, or try to merge the existing catalog into a new one??? Anyone else have any experience with something like this???????

What version? I've moved my files/catalog numerous times to New drives and versions and never run into anything like this. All I know is version 8s performance is much better, and they no longer suggest splitting catalogs.

I'm still using my old slow computer, till the new one shows up in a week or so. It has 4GB RAM and is very slow to do much in LR/PS. Today I was trying to upload a folder in LR to the cloud and had to give up on it. Do you think this is a result of the RAM deficit?

What version? I've moved my files/catalog numerous times to New drives and versions and never run into anything like this. All I know is version 8s performance is much better, and they no longer suggest splitting catalogs.

I'm on Version 9, latest build. My issues started with the version 9 update this month. What's New in Lightroom Classic 9.0 (November 2019)? | The Lightroom Queen It forced me to convert/update the catalog, and I've been fighting it ever since.:boxing: Before I ditch much work I'm going to contact Adobe next week, to see if they can shed any light on it.

Do you think this is a result of the RAM deficit?

Don't think so. 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 1060 graphic card with 8GB, Intel 7, SSD primary, with an external SSD connected via Thunderbolt for a scratch disk. Watching the processes, while messing around in Lr, shows Ram utilization less then half, Processor loping along at 10-15%. It was blazing prior to the last update. Operating from the new test catalog it's blazing.

All of this hassle, for only $10 a month! What a value!

Or what a challenge, it's all about perspective. LOL

So here's what I've done in case others encounter it. Adobe did an update to version 9, around the middle of November. That update forced me to convert the catalog to the new version. That's when a lot of the problems started, primarily when switching between views or after doing a brush adjustment. The screen would go black and I'd get a Lr unresponsive message for a little bit. Here's what I tried and the results.
  • Reset the preferences, no change
  • Optimized catalog, no change
  • Downloaded and installed new driver for Graphics card, no change. Then by accident I discovered that NVIDIA (manufacturer of my GeForce graphics card, released a "Studio Driver" on November 18th that supposedly was tested with Adobe.
  • Downloaded and installed the new "Studio Driver".
Mostly corrected on speed issues, still have a few image files acting wonky, which could well be corrupted files. Might be time to migrate a section at a time to a new catalog.

Update: deleted all the previews, and smart previews, rebuilt standard previews for the entire catalog. Looks like the problem resolved, as it's blazing again.

Last edited:

I normally don't get caught up in controversial opinions because I'm just an old fart that has been using a camera for, oh, going on forty years now. So, given Adobe's "value", young photographers many years from now will have benefited immensely from such a great "value". Really???? Lets do the math. Simple! If Adobe LR and internet access would have been available forty years ago, and if I had bought into this great "value", I would have paid nearly $5000 dollars for such a great deal - "value" - and still I wouldn't actually own ****!

you missed the sarcasm.

you missed the sarcasm.

No! I didn't miss anything. I quoted Derrel because I know Derrel IS NOT stupid enough to believe what he stated but his sarcasm is actually reality in some people's minds.. That is why, after less than a minute, he agreed with my statement. I used his sarcasm to merely make my own statement - the fact that there is a group of morons out there in the photography world that are giving in to this "subscription based" rip off. Some people have more money than brains! And there are others that have no principles, so they will support the morons using subscription based software because it makes them "appear" better then those that can't or won't afford these greedy software companies. Braineack, I'm not blasting you but merely clarifying. You are correct in a certain perspective but it didn't apply this time. Thank you for forcing me to further expound upon my original statement!

I missed the sarcasm.

I think it was in the year 2012 when I first got Lightroom. I paid as I recall $129 for a full version on CD. I have not upgraded my Lightroom since oh, but I did wastr two years worth of $10 a month in Adobe subscription please Port basically no improvement using Lightroom CC. I canceled my contract, and have had absolutely no regrets. In exchange for staying with what works, I have had absolutely no hassles of the type that smoke665 has endured for the past couple of years. This is what, his fourth or fifth post searching for answers to problems with the constantly updated Lightroom CC? While I see this as nothing but hassle, he has attempted to portray it as a challenge.

If I were using Lightroom as part of my business I would not stand for this nonsense. The value of having an incremental upgrade and one or two needlessly added features would be far outweighed by having a piece of software that just works. But then again, there are people who want the latest and greatest, and who are happy to go to bat for Adobe in their search for $10 a month from millions upon millions of subscribers. I remember Adobe's first trial balloon of $50 a month for Photoshop alone! I will never forget that. Adobe has managed to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs... they have opened up a market in which they had a stranglehold, and it is my opinion that within five years there will be a flood of competitours taking money away from Adobe and its greed, money-grubbing ways. Affinity Photo, Capture One, and others must all be congratulating Adobe for opening up incredible sales opportunity for them. When an Adobe upgrade breaks the computer network of one or two powerful influencers within the photo community, there will be a rash of bad publicity the likes of which Adobe might never recover from.

As a final update to my OP the biggest part of the problem was hardware related. The manufacture of my graphics card was late getting out an updated driver, and settings instructions for working with Lr Ver.9. For those who are so intent on running down Adobe, the hardware mfg offered zip on trouble shooting while Adobe has spent at least 3hrs with me trying to troubleshoot what wasnt their problem, plus has sent 3 followup emails with additional instructions and assistance. Regardless of software there will be hardware conflicts that come up any time versions are updated. My problem has been resolved to my satisfaction.

However it appears in the interim my post has been hijacked by the subscription model haters, such that some have gone so far as to use inflammatory and insulting language against those of us who remain happy with Adobe services. I was under the impression that forum rules prevented that, but maybe it hasn't come to the attention of a moderator. In any case it's an old tired argument and one that I have no desire to engage in, so if that's all you want to do, then I highly suggest starting your own thread. If that isn't possible then maybe it's time for a moderator to step in and lock this thread from further comment.

If you can't stand the Heat then stay out of the kitchen I think Harry Truman said that some 75 or 80 years ago. I wonder what he meant?

How many times have you been let down by Adobe CC when they somehow made it incompatible with your Hardware? I've been good to go since 2012. And I paid $129. I spent $10 a month for two years with no updates except one that caused me the need to update my entire computer operating system.
You? You used the word Saga in your post title. The last thing I want is a saga in relation to anything I depend upon- my car, my bed, my phone, my cameras, etc.. if you want this thead shut down, then you know who to go to. Otherwise , you invited comments when you made this post and used the word Saga in its title. Sorry if you took a little bit of input from people who disagree with your fawning admiration for Adobe's $10-a-month-for-life extortion plot. Not everyone in the software world likes to be held on the hook month to month to month to month, in perpetuity. A software application which is updated about as frequently as people change socks is a recipe for disaster, especially with Windows users combat who have at their disposal Millions upon Millions I've systems with Hardware that is potentially incompatible is tomorrow a little bit of rain with whatever Adobe is providing that month. Apple users have a much more narrow range of hardware and software to choose from, and I think because of this it is easier to design updates.

Imagine if everyone had just simply bent over and smiled when it was supposed to be $50 a month for just Photoshop. Where do you think we would be now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back