Lightroom Saga Continues

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by smoke665, Nov 30, 2019.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I successfully moved my catalog (I thought), but as I started editing more from four days of shoots, it started slowing down, and becoming "unresponsive", till it finally got the to point of useless. This would happen in the Develop mode as it would try to update brush adjustments, when I'd switch to another image, or when I tried to switch views. I tried doing a reset preferences, no help. Checked all the things I could think of, and was almost to the point of uninstalling and reinstalling LR, when I thought I'd try a new catalog. Set up a test catalog, imported images, and it works fine again?????????

I'm at a loss as to why it started doing what it did. Is it possible my catalog was corrupted???? I deleted several old images out of my files recently, but I always optimized catalog after doing the deletes. I was going to restore a backup but there were several new edits, that weren't on the last backup. So now I'm questioning whether to just lose the most recent edits, and go to the last backup, or try to merge the existing catalog into a new one??? Anyone else have any experience with something like this???????

2. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    What version? I've moved my files/catalog numerous times to New drives and versions and never run into anything like this. All I know is version 8s performance is much better, and they no longer suggest splitting catalogs.

3. Warhorse

Warhorse No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm still using my old slow computer, till the new one shows up in a week or so. It has 4GB RAM and is very slow to do much in LR/PS. Today I was trying to upload a folder in LR to the cloud and had to give up on it. Do you think this is a result of the RAM deficit?

4. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    I'm on Version 9, latest build. My issues started with the version 9 update this month. What's New in Lightroom Classic 9.0 (November 2019)? | The Lightroom Queen It forced me to convert/update the catalog, and I've been fighting it ever since.:boxing: Before I ditch much work I'm going to contact Adobe next week, to see if they can shed any light on it.

5. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Don't think so. 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 1060 graphic card with 8GB, Intel 7, SSD primary, with an external SSD connected via Thunderbolt for a scratch disk. Watching the processes, while messing around in Lr, shows Ram utilization less then half, Processor loping along at 10-15%. It was blazing prior to the last update. Operating from the new test catalog it's blazing.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    All of this hassle, for only $10 a month! What a value!

• Like Like x 1
  7. smoke665

Photos OK to edit

Or what a challenge, it's all about perspective. LOL

So here's what I've done in case others encounter it. Adobe did an update to version 9, around the middle of November. That update forced me to convert the catalog to the new version. That's when a lot of the problems started, primarily when switching between views or after doing a brush adjustment. The screen would go black and I'd get a Lr unresponsive message for a little bit. Here's what I tried and the results.
    • Reset the preferences, no change
    • Optimized catalog, no change
    • Downloaded and installed new driver for Graphics card, no change. Then by accident I discovered that NVIDIA (manufacturer of my GeForce graphics card, released a "Studio Driver" on November 18th that supposedly was tested with Adobe.
    • Downloaded and installed the new "Studio Driver".
    Mostly corrected on speed issues, still have a few image files acting wonky, which could well be corrupted files. Might be time to migrate a section at a time to a new catalog.

Update: deleted all the previews, and smart previews, rebuilt standard previews for the entire catalog. Looks like the problem resolved, as it's blazing again.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1