Lightweight Canon Lens

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need some recommendations from you guys on a lens. Here's what we're looking for, and I've come up with a couple possibilities, but I wanted your suggestions.

Need
Canon Lens (3rd party is ok too)
wide angle walk around lens
lightweight (a little over 1 pound)

Want
2.8 aperture
potential to use with our full frame sensor 5D

I need some recommendations from you guys on a lens. Here's what we're looking for, and I've come up with a couple possibilities, but I wanted your suggestions.

Need
Canon Lens (3rd party is ok too)
wide angle walk around lens
lightweight (a little over 1 pound)

Want
2.8 aperture
potential to use with our full frame sensor 5D

Could you please tell us what your price range is.

Also do you need a zoom, or are you ok with a prime?

Preferrably under $1000. Needs to be a zoom.

The only 2.8 wide angle zoom for a FF camera I can think of is the 16-35 2.8L. You won't get it for under $1000 new (at least in Canada), but I often see this lens up for sale used.

If you don't mid losing a stop, my 17-40 4L is one of my favourite lenses. It provides ultrasharp images and I used to own a 5D (now with the 5D mk II). It is half the price of the 16-35 and can be got used for $600 or less (in Canada).

As already stated, the 16-35 2.8L would be perfect for you it sounds like, besides the price that is.

There are quite a few options if you were OK with a APS-C only lens.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS
Sigma 17-50mm EX DC OS

I believe that this Tamron lens is ok for full-frame as well as crop cameras. No idea about its quality though. The price is quite descent at $650 imo.

Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 XR Di-II VC LD
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD AFB005C700 - B&H Photo

As already stated, the 16-35 2.8L would be perfect for you it sounds like, besides the price that is.

There are quite a few options if you were OK with a APS-C only lens.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS
Sigma 17-50mm EX DC OS

I believe that this Tamron lens is ok for full-frame as well as crop cameras. No idea about its quality though. The price is quite descent at $650 imo.

Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 XR Di-II VC LD
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD AFB005C700 - B&H Photo

Both the Sigma DC designation and the Tamron Di II designation are for crop sensors, unfortunately.

Ahh ok.

I didnt see that on the specs.

OP: It would seem clear then that you need to make a compromise on either price or max aperture.

Just get the 16-35 2.8L lol.

Do it! :lol:

Sigma does sell the DG 24-70mm 2.8, but that's not real wide as lenses go, imo. They also have a DG 12-24mm, but the aperture starts at 4.5

Ahh ok.

OP: It would seem clear then that you need to make a compromise on either price or max aperture.

She said on a 5D :lol:

Na she said "potential to use with our full frame sensor 5D"

I would think this implies that its for a APS-C camera?

Ahh ok.

She said on a 5D :lol:

Na she said "potential to use with our full frame sensor 5D"

I would think this implies that its for a APS-C camera?

EFS lenses will not work on the 5D unless you want to break the mirror

May I ask what is the purpose of this?

The reason why I ask is your priorities is kinda odd... coming from the perspective of a wedding photographer (I am assuming). Is this suppose to be the lens is for personal.. more laid back.. casual use? To be used when you don't want to lugg around heavier stuff but not resort to P&S?

Here's my two lenses for that purpose (9-18mm and 14-42mm). Its a quick snap next to my 24-105L for size. Both lenses are smaller than my 50mm f/1.4. Both fit in my pocket... the camera is equally small. They have a fast prime that's even smaller.

390400102.jpg

The two lenses + camera will probably be slightly under $1000.

If not... my vote is for the 17-40L. I figure I would throw this option out there just because I don't think anyone else will mention it.

We'd mainly be using the lens for weddings. We have both cropped sensor and full frame sensor cameras that we use at weddings. It would be nice to be able to use the lens on the 5D, so I think the suggestion about the 17-40 may be a good one. We have 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 lenses that we also use, so we'll probably be able to get by with a 4.0 instead of 2.8. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

If somebody else has a lens that's a better fit, I'll still be checking the thread, but it sounds like the 17-40 is probably going to be the best fit for us.

We'd mainly be using the lens for weddings.

If somebody else has a lens that's a better fit, I'll still be checking the thread, but it sounds like the 17-40 is probably going to be the best fit for us.

Oh.. ok.. definitely consider the 17-40L then...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back