Lightweight travel tripods - Feisol, Hakuba, other?

AfroKen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kenleephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all! I've been considering getting a good quality tripod. I tend to hike and do a fair amount of outdoor photography, and was looking for something that was lightweight, folds down small, and is easy to set up and use but is still sturdy in wind. I have about $600, maybe $650 to spend if I really stretch. I want to buy something good, but also have to be realistic about finances, so if it's cheaper, that would be great.

I have a Nikon D90, and the largest lens I own is the Nikkor 18-200 VR DX lens.

I found this, which sounds really great:

Feisol Travel Tripod 3441SB Rapid with CD 30C ball head $487
NEW FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441SB Rapid with CB-30C Ball Head
Folds to 17", 3.1 lbs. including ball head, max height 72" - seems perfect.

This is the 3441SB Rapid with no ball head $388)
NEW FEISOL Traveler Tripod CT-3441S Rapid

And another one, this one a Hakuba HG 503MX for $200:
Amazon.com: Hakuba Carbon Fiber HG-503MX - Tripod: Camera & Photo
Now, this one appeals less to me because it's a little heavier (4 lbs. to the Feisol's 2.6 lb without the ball head) and doesn't fold up as small (26.8" to the Feisol's 17").

Questions:
- 1.) How good is the Feisol ball head? If it's not that good, I can buy this without the ballhead and get an Acratech GV2 or something similar if I reeeeally stretch my budget (Amazon.com: Acratech GV2 Ballhead with Quick Release, Level and Detent Pin, Supports 25 lbs.: Camera & Photo) for $324. Or this Photo Clam PC-33NS - http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-33NS.htm, which seems to be better.

- 2.) What ball head would you recommend if neither the Feisol ball head that comes with it or the Acratech, which might be a little heavy for a small travel tripod?

- 3.) What else would you recommend? There's Velbon and Slik, but the Feisol really seems to fit the bill more than the other ones I've seen. I know that Gitzo is really good, but I cannot afford that, so please don't suggest that.

- 4.) What is the difference between the Feisol 3441S and the 3441SB?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back