Tripod recommendations appreciated

Thing is...when a person is looking at a 4.8 or 4.6 pound tripod, sturdiness is obviously a lower priority. But as braineack mentioned above, actually SEEING and examinging various tripods can show you there are usually areas where the design is better, and where it is weaker and less well-done than in other, competing, or same-class types of tripod designs.

The weight rating of the two similar pods mentioned above in the July 10 post: 22 pounds and then 39.7 pounds. Seriously? 22 pounds even. And then thirty-nine-point-seven pounds. Hmmmmm....one sounds legit, the other smacks of BS shoveled from thin air...but who knows. However, this is close to double the capacity for the higher-rated 'pod.

Tripods are something that, in less-expensive and Made in China form, really almost must be seen in-person to evaluate, especially in relation to how sturdy they really are, and how well-designed and well-made they actually are. Bucking conventional wisdom, I do NOT think that price nor brand name nor material are always reliable indicators of quality; instead, I think what Braineack is alluding to are the best indicator of quality: DESIGN of the tripod, and the actual machining/construction of it.

I've seen some fairtly inexpensive tripods in aluminum that are fairly stable, especially if they have just two, or three-section legs.

I've seen some fairly inexpensive tripods in aluminum that are fairly stable, especially if they have just two, or three-section legs.

Indeed, it is just that simple. Any other option needs to bump up the budget.

Yup, seems like anything under $150 is all the same travel tripod.

Most reactions

Back