I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know people want to show off their work, and i know there's a lot of photos people want to get critique on...
but seriously folks. can we PLEASE narrow it down to 4-5 photos at a time? just make another thread if you have more than that.
numbering the photos wouldn't hurt either. I don't know about anyone else, but I just cant make it through a dozen pics and give any kind of input on them. when I see im going to have to scroll for 10 minutes to get to the bottom of the first post,I don't even bother looking any more. heaven forbid anyone quote the hundred image post..I think we need a limit for pics allowed in one post. other forums have it limited in the upload software where you CANT upload more than 5 images. Seriously thinking that's what we need here.

I say Three images MAX! Even Five is too many, if they want C&C!

I have no issue with the number of pics in a thread. If you have an issue with the number of pictures in a thread leave the thread. I'm sure someone else will offer c+c. Seems to me like a few people on this forum think their opinion carries more weight then others.

MSnowy said:
I have no issue with the number of pics in a thread. If you have an issue with the number of pictures in a thread leave the thread. I'm sure someone else will offer c+c. Seems to me like a few people on this forum think their opinion carries more weight then others.

Yup. Could be, could be. Its just my opinion. Not unlike your opinion. If you dont like my opinion in my thread, leave the thread. Im sure someone else will offer their opinion. Im pretty sure my opinion is no more or no less valid than anyone elses.

I don't think I have ever seen you C&C a thread... not that I remember anyway! Do you really feel that it is possible to give meaningful C&C on more than three to five photos? Most people that post more than that, have mostly snapshots anyway.

I do. And so do others. Providing C&C on photographs is a courtesy, not a requirement. I'm not going to try to comment on a dozen shots that are jumbled together and unnumbered.

I addition to that, I think people need to STOP uploading full size JPEGs (unless there's a reason why the image needs to be viewed at 100%). It hogs bandwith and slows down the mobile app BIG TIME. There is no reason to post images larger than 1000px on the longest edge.

With a ton of images it's impossible for us to give good, thorough help that will actually help. The time involved is immense. I have a few minutes in between working, cleaning, processing, etc... I am here all day right now doing that, but if a thread has 5 or more images I am only able to give an overview and that REALLY donesn't help the poster.
I am also one who really likes 3. And preferably the 3 that WENT WRONG from the shoot that we can help you to see why and what you could have done. If you want to SHARE best images that's fine too! We like to look through them in a sharing post. It challenges and inspires, but for CC give us something so we can give something back that is worth while.

No never have given c+c on a thread. I have only been at this two years so I dont have the experience or qualification to c+c others pictures. Yes I think those with experience can c+c as many pictures as they have patience for. What's the difference between looking at eight pictures from one person or two pictures from four people.

No never have given c+c on a thread. I have only been at this two years so I dont have the experience or qualification to c+c others pictures. Yes I think those with experience can c+c as many pictures as they have patience for. What's the difference between looking at eight pictures from one person or two pictures from four people.

But you DO have valuable input that you could put in.
The newest of the new has perspective and sees what is pleasing or what is not pleasing and often times that very basic information is overlooked in the deeper stuff that everyone looks at.
BASIC impression of an image is outrageously important and your insight is sometimes much more valuable than the most educated photographer out there!

One person getting some help or four people getting some help.

Count the number of request for C&C some day. If everyone of them had, say, 12 images instead of 3 then you might as well multiply the number of C&C requests by 4. Very few of us have that much free time on our hands, and even those who do don't want to spend all day every day providing C&C.

As to your lack of experience, who cares. As MLeeK stated, your input is valuable as well, and you will learn a lot about looking through a viewfinder by looking at others photographs.

Last edited:

If you ever start C&C'ing.. you will see the difference! It requires a lot of thought and observation!

If a person is making the same mistake over and over again... you don't need eight images to see that, you can see it in three easily. Eight images.. I just shake my head, and move on! Or I will pick one or two to comment on. You really should try to C&C.. if you like something, say so, and say WHY! If you don't like something, say so, and say WHY! Also include tips on how to improve if you know them.. if you don't, then someone else will!

I quit doing much in the way of C&C because so many asking for C&C post way to many photos. At one point before changes in the Beginner's forum, I quit counting about 1/2 way down the page at 142 photos posted wanting C&C.
At 5 minutes per photo, that's 710 minutes, or 11.8 hours to C&C them all.

That's why so much of the C&C that is given is incomplete, and abrupt, or none at all is given.

People don't consider what they are actually asking for, and even then many times the C&C requester didn't understand jack about the C&C I did give.

The 2 most common problems are using ****ty light and poor composition.

I tend to agree... I rarely C&C more than four images in a thread, and that easily take 10-15 minutes.

MSnowy said:
What's the difference between looking at eight pictures from one person or two pictures from four people.

Because critiquing photos over multiple threads isn't extremely scroll intensive?

Most reactions

Back