Little Help Guys and Gals. Question about Eagle Photography

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well where I live eagles are not too common. I do not live on the coast, and I do not live near a big dam, so eagles are sometimes few and far between.

I only know of a few nests, most are a good drive, and or hard to get to and very high in the tree with no good angle.

So on my way to place I like to go I always pass this pond, but its more like a lake, its pretty big, I have seen green herons here before and noticed large nests. at first I thought they might be osprey nests, but after what I saw today has me thinking they may be eagle nests.

these photos are bad and just to get some ideas, if the big nest might be a eagle nest and is worth more investigation. shooting from the street with a 500mm these shots are 100% crops, its impossible to get to them without the use of my kayak. this pond is likely private land, I have been trying to hunt down the owner.

any ideas would be great.

1 eagle next to a small nest, probably not theirs
$eaglenest.jpg

second eagle closer to the nest on the top that I think might be theirs
$eaglenest2.jpg

photo of the tree with the nest, and a smaller one as well.?
$eaglenest3.jpg

Last edited:
This is the eagle's nest in my area. Its located on an island. The closest I can get is around 500 yards. Thats why I had to go 400 miles away to get close to one (Conowingo Dam).

$TMS_7782-3.JPG

Take a look online, most likely your county tax assessor has a website. They will have a record of who owns the property and it's assessed value. If not you can go to their office and they should be able to provide you with the information. Big fan of eagles myself:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
I have only seen 1 nest in person and it was pretty big. It did look similiar to the second picture, almost conical. Hard to judge the size from your picture, but i think it might be a very good possibility...

well I did find some info online, but the number is disconnected. kind of like me probably I don't even have a home phone anymore.

I have a nest in my town and it is big. My guess is at least 6-8 feet around.

The photo below has the pair in the foreground and the nest in the background. The nest is a little over a quarter mile away. This persecutive is deceiving in several ways. The tree the nest is in sits above the other trees also, it's hard to show the distance to the tree. So ya kinda gotta take my word. I did google the distance on a map just be be sure I had the right distance.

Eagles with their nest in the background by Shefjr, on Flickr

My fingers are crossed for you.

Its not an eagle nest, i got a closer look, its pretty small. They maybe scouting the area, its probably an osprey nest. Today i put in and it was way too full of stumps, i couldn't explore it all. There was one eagle there today but it kept its distance.

I guess there could be a nest somewhere, but its deeper then i can access.

I did check on the eagle nest i know for sure is one, its an hour paddle up river right below a dam. I saw two adult eagles and one flew over my head. But the same its way up in a tree and power lines block it as well as it begins a restricted area below the dam preventing access due to 9/11 i guess

400' out my back door and I have 2 more nest within 1.5 miles. I'm not really a wildlife photographer but when they are this close it makes it pretty convenient. This nest is quite large and I would guess it's about 7' across the top.

We get very few where I live but once in awhile this mated pair shows up..this is from today

$DSC_1854.JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back