Little help with my flash

klotzishere20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got an old flash from my grandpas old camera. I just picked up a softbox lll. When I shoot in manual, I only get half a shot. The only part of the photo that comes in is the top half while the bottom half remains dark. When I shoot in any other mode the whole picture is just overexposed. I'm using a t1i, vivitar 2800, 150mm sigma, and a softbox lll.

What was your shutter speed?

The dark part of the image is the second curtain blocking the image sensor, because you are using a shutter speed faster than the flash x-sync speed for the T1i.

IIRC, the max x-sync speed for the T1i is 1/200. Read the T1i users manual to be sure.

The image is on the image sensor upside down from what you see in the viewfinder and the curtain is actually moving from the bottom of the image to the top of the image, but that is from the top of the shutter to the bottom of the shutter.

I tried a bunch, the bottom half never seemed to get hit by the light...

Don't think I went slower than 1/200 ima go try it quick

Heh it worked thanks for the info...

Last edited:
happened to me to when i started out strobing, and to this day i don't know why there's a difference in shooting outside or inside. if i shoot inside at 1/250 i get half the shot darkened, but if i'm in the sun i can shoot up to 1/320 with no problem.. maybe cause the sky gets darkened and i can't see it or something..

Most reactions

Back