Little question concerning focus - again.

Karl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys. :]

I took this shot today and I'm wondering:

If I wanted the whole bike to be in focus, so about 30 cm of distance, how would I have done it?

I was in auto mode (Point and shoot basically) with the focus point of my camera set on the front light.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: I reduced its size in MS Paint, thus the quality is going to be horrid, sorry. :]

33ynjtt.jpg

A smaller aperture with a longer exposure would do it.

I read the question over and over again. thought i missed something maybe.
do you really have all that equipment ?

Thanks DemonAstroth. :]

I read the question over and over again. thought i missed something maybe.
do you really have all that equipment ?

Am I meant to answer this or are you just sharing your surprise that I have a proper equipment despite being a beginner..?

Google depth of field (DOF) and all will become clear. DOF is the area of a picture that appears in focus. It depends on 3 factors:

- Camera to subject distance: the shorter this distance, the shallower the DOF
- Focal length: the longer the lens, the shallower the DOF
- Aperture: the bigger the aperture (smaller F number), the shallower the DOF

Experiment by taking several shots with different apertures (all the rest remaining the same) and you should see the difference for yourself.

If your using smaller apertures try to not go smaller than f16 as after that diffraction can start to affect your shots and make them softer. Note also that if your increasing the depth of field in a shot the background is going to become more infocus as well - to counter that you can use a blank background (like a sheet); move outside where the background is a very long way away from the setup and even use a telephoto lens to take the shot rather than a macro - that way the longer focal length helps.
You might also find that you have to move back further and use the telephoto since at a close distance you might not be able to get the whole bike in focus (since depth of field reduces as you get close to a subject

If your using smaller apertures try to not go smaller than f16 as after that diffraction can start to affect your shots and make them softer.

That's pretty much a personal choice. If the shot requires f22 for the DOF I want, I will use that. To me, the slight loss of sharpness due to diffraction is much less visible that a DOF too shallow for the subject.

Am I meant to answer this or are you just sharing your surprise that I have a proper equipment despite being a beginner..?

Why would you not try various settings before posting such a question ? maybe you would have the pleasure of finding your answer yourself.
Skimming your manual would also help i'm guessing.
Or if you feel you need advice from TPF members a simple search would probably give you the answer you wanted.
Im sorry if it sounds unfriendly but i think if you want to improve yourself you should get used to the fact that photography requires tons of reading.

I like the shot by the way, just wish i could see the bike as a whole.

Nobody forces you to comment on a thread posted to the forum - its totally volentary.

Secondly we all go through a phase (called being new) where we ask the daft or simple questions to help us through things - some of us ask at photography clubs and others ask in forums - some read books and others play with the camera. We all learn in different ways and no one way is ultimatly superior to the other - so don't knock people for choosing a certain direction.

Thirdly don't knock one persons "basic" question when you have also done similar in the past:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/164347-circular-polarizing-filter.html

Most reactions

Back