Live View in a DSLR... (NOT what I thought)

iskoos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I recently purchased a Canon digital SLR camera (T1i). Coming from P&S background, I wanted my first SLR to have the same ability since I am so used to using live view while taking pictures...

I thought it would be a good idea to share these after spending some time with my new camera...

1-I now understand why people never use the live view function on a DSLR camera.
2-It takes way too long for the camera to focus(that's if it can focus properly)
3-It is very VERY inconvenient to press and hold a separate button to engage autofocus.
4-I didn't understand why a separate button needed to engage the autofocus. Why couldn't it be just the shutter button half pressed!..
5-Any P&S camera's AF system would work much faster and much easier than this cameras AF in live mode.
6-I don't think I will use the live view unless it is absolutely necessary...
7-Live view function won't be a deciding factor(unless they improve it) for my next DSLR.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing too when I picked up my first dSLR, I was particuarly impressed with the Sony's LV system though. Although after a while I ended up using the viewfinder more unless I'm taking pictures at weird angles.

when i got my xti i was kinda disappointed that it didn't have live view, but after awhile i didn't care at all. i actually liked not having it. whenever i would use p&s cameras i would always hold the screen up to my eye and get blinded.. haha.

with my xsi, i mess around with the live view, but i never use it when i'm trying to take a good picture.

I believe if you are looking for Liveview with camera that can change lenses and better autofocus, you may need to look for one that do not have the mirror box.

Personally, I think Liveview is good for sometimes, but most of the time I like using viewfinder than liveview especially a heavier lens is mounted on the camera and the camera is not on a tripod.

Hmmmm .... I don't understand ...

AF on my 30D and my 7D were both done with a 1/2 press of the exposure button (or you could customize another button)

I find Live View very helpful when doing macro MF

My personal opinion I agree the LIVEVIEW is worthless unless... you use it for macro with manual focus and it works great!!! Very easy to check and make sure the focus is perfect before the shot.

+1 why in the he!! do you have to push a seperate button to focus, what is wrong with just pushing the shutter button half way down?

My personal opinion I agree the LIVEVIEW is worthless unless... you use it for macro with manual focus and it works great!!! Very easy to check and make sure the focus is perfect before the shot.

+1 why in the he!! do you have to push a seperate button to focus, what is wrong with just pushing the shutter button half way down?

Hi,

I recently purchased a Canon digital SLR camera (T1i). Coming from P&S background, I wanted my first SLR to have the same ability since I am so used to using live view while taking pictures...

I thought it would be a good idea to share these after spending some time with my new camera...

1-I now understand why people never use the live view function on a DSLR camera.
2-It takes way too long for the camera to focus(that's if it can focus properly)
3-It is very VERY inconvenient to press and hold a separate button to engage autofocus.
4-I didn't understand why a separate button needed to engage the autofocus. Why couldn't it be just the shutter button half pressed!..
5-Any P&S camera's AF system would work much faster and much easier than this cameras AF in live mode.
6-I don't think I will use the live view unless it is obsolutely necessary...
7-Live view function won't be a deciding factor(unless they improve it) for my next DSLR.

I was shooting at a concert before the band I was there to officially shoot for was on. I got several awesome shots from the crowd. I'm only 5'10"-5'11", but I did manage some amazing shots while using live view from the crowd with the camera held up over my head. That's something I wouldn't have been able to accomplish accurately without...and it wasn't macro.

It's also useful for other angles where it's just not possible to get your eye to the view finder. That and it's great not having to get into a prone position with my face on the ground when I want those really low angles.

There's uses for it, so discounting it as some useless add on, something most people say of video, is just ignorant.

Hardrock - How long have you been shooting for? Explore the Cfn setting to adjust your AF button to a full time dedicated button rather than the shutter. Most people I know do this already; it's a great thing you've yet to learn about.

Hi,

6-I don't think I will use the live view unless it is obsolutely necessary...

I was shooting at a concert before the band I was there to officially shoot for was on. I got several awesome shots from the crowd. I'm only 5'10"-5'11", but I did manage some amazing shots while using live view from the crowd with the camera held up over my head. That's something I wouldn't have been able to accomplish accurately without...and it wasn't macro.

It's also useful for other angles where it's just not possible to get your eye to the view finder. That and it's great not having to get into a prone position with my face on the ground when I want those really low angles.

There's uses for it, so discounting it as some useless add on, something most people say of video, is just ignorant.

Hardrock - How long have you been shooting for? Explore the Cfn setting to adjust your AF button to a full time dedicated button rather than the shutter. Most people I know do this already; it's a great thing you've yet to learn about.

Interesting! I just got my 50d for Christmas and I havn't learned all the settings. I didnt realize you could set the AF button for that as well it will make using Liveview a little easier to use but with AF it just seems slow.

Okay. I don't want to say it has no use at all. For some odd viewing angles, it could come in handy if the autofocusing wouldn't be a pita. This means if the shutter button would work for AF, it would be a whole different scenario...

I know 40D does have live view but I didn't think 30D did.
And I do not think AF button is assignable on T1i or XSi. If so, I would put assign it to shutter button and leave it there forever...

One thing that would have made the Live View on my 7D more useful would have been if the screen would pivot.
(No, the 30D does NOT have Live View. I was just commenting that AF on the 30D is normally handled by the shutter button).

Okay. I don't want to say it has no use at all. For some odd viewing angles, it could come in handy if the autofocusing wouldn't be a pita. This means if the shutter button would work for AF, it would be a whole different scenario...

I know 40D does have live view but I didn't think 30D did.
And I do not think AF button is assignable on T1i or XSi. If so, I would put assign it to shutter button and leave it there forever...

Check out the custom functions, it may be.

I've always had it assigned to one of the buttons by the thumb. That way I can auto focus, recompose, and shoot without having the camera focus when the shutter goes half way down. This is also useful for other situations; I like using it for action where I can half the shutter constantly half way down ready for a shot while controlling the AF with my thumb.

How long have you been shooting for? Explore the Cfn setting to adjust your AF button to a full time dedicated button rather than the shutter. Most people I know do this already; it's a great thing you've yet to learn about.
:thumbup:

It's like breathing. I couldn't imagine having to go back to using the shutter to focus.

The type of LIVEVIEW you want with fast AF etc. is available on the Sony DSLRs and it is matched with a tiltable LCD screen. It makes an excellent second viewfinder for greater flexibility expecially for very high or very low shots and it is super for street shooting or in situations where no one knows you are shooting because you do not have your eye up to the viewfinder.

skieur

I purchased a D90 just because of the live view for my wife. She has a bit of an issue looking through the eye piece. I noticed that the auto focus was a little slower in live view but not much. I actually forgot it had live view until last weekend when i was taking shots at my nephews 6th B-day party. And only remembered because I had to switch to live view to record video.

I do see your point in this statement. Now, I guess that's why Canon engineers used a dedicated button for AF. If you first AF and then change your composition and then shoot, camera will just capture the image whereas if the AF would be on the shutter button, the camera would then refocus and this would just add unnecessary time to the already lenghty process...
I really like the idea but it is only good if you are doing this style shooting. I rarely change the composition after AF. That's why I would still like to see if the AF button is assignable in my camera. If so, I will give it :thumbup:...
If not, it is still my camera...:hug::

Most reactions

Back