Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Duh...

At this point in my search for a new camera I'm lusting after a Nikon D40x and I made the assumption that the 2 1/2" LCD screen showed a live view like the P&S camera's... somehow missed that in all the info.

Let's say as I get older I am visually challenged, will that be a deal breaker?

Cheers, Don.

I've always felt like I could see better through a real optical viewfinder than I could on an LCD screen, especially in low light situations.

Duh...

At this point in my search for a new camera I'm lusting after a Nikon D40x and I made the assumption that the 2 1/2" LCD screen showed a live view like the P&S camera's... somehow missed that in all the info.

Let's say as I get older I am visually challenged, will that be a deal breaker?

Cheers, Don.

Are you not wearing glasses as you get older?

The LiveView on the high end models are (supposedly) great, especially for composing those weird angle spots, or just making sure What You See Is What You Get. But they cost and are on the more "advanced" models.

The Live-View is not very functional to use in the field. Sorta cumbersome holding your camera out to view the LCD. On heavier lenses, this will throw you off-balance a bit. The viewfinder is much better suited for shooting in DSLR terms since they are larger and brighter than P&Ss. Maybe tripod mounted and in-studio shots are more suited for live-view. I use it for macro work more than anything. Not really a deal breaker in my book. For Nikon Live-view I think only the D3 has it now. Canon has it on the 40D and 1D and 1Ds Mark III. More should be forthcoming

Hmmm, I wouldn't hold it "out" - just far enough from your eye to get a good view. And it really is meant for certain situations; and would definitely shine tripod mounted in any situation.

I would consider it a happy plus, not a mandatory feature.

ALMOST useless.

Dont worry about going blind. THey make adjustable diopters for the viewfinder. At least, they do on my camera...I would hope Nikon would do the same...lol.

Good luck.

Are you not wearing glasses as you get older?

The LiveView on the high end models are (supposedly) great, especially for composing those weird angle spots, or just making sure What You See Is What You Get. But they cost and are on the more "advanced" models.

Actually it's the glasses that seem to get in the way :)

More info, the majority of the shots will be tripod mounted in studio, subject matter is wood furniture.

I thought I had narrowed the search to the Canon Power Shot G9 and the Nikon D40x.

This is a pic with my old 2 mp Kodak.. I am ABSOLUTELY AMAZED that Fine Woodworking Magazine accepted the 5 mg file and did their own editing for publication???

Still, I can't take that chance again and I am not pleased with the clarity of the wood grain. I put the sheet back on the bed and have a better backdrop now :)

c65fead51ca5482d84a64f14a7add5a7.jpg

Cheers, Don.

To me the best way to decide if Live View is a function that you need on a DSLR for what you describe would be to do the following. Go to the library, pick out a nice big book weighing in at 3 to 4 pounds, hold it by the two edges out in front of your face where you can focus on a 21/2 inch square section of the cover and then line the top of the book up with some edge off in the distance. Observe how much the book edge travels, that is what is going to happen with your camera using live view. Then decide if it really is a function that will work for you.

My guess is that it will not. As others have said, it might be useful on a tripod for macro or studio stuff but in the real moving world DSLR's are bigger, heavier and tougher to hold than a little P&S.

I really do not think live-view should be a deal-breaker when it comes to buying a new camera. Besides unless you think you will be going blind real soon by the time you actually do the D40 will probably be obsolete and it will be time to buy a new body and by that time I imagine live-view will be standard on all camers. I think if the newest pro bodies have live-view now I can't see any new cameras coming out without it. The best way for you to get started right now is buy the D40 or whatever now and invest in decent lenses remember you are buying into a system that will probably last you for a long time to come. By the way am I assuming correctly that you made the table if so I have to say it is beautiful!!! really nice work. I am no woodworker but I got a free subscription to fine woodworker mag and see some of the work in there and your table ranks right up there with any of it.

I am not sure about the D40, but my cameras (D1 series, D3, D300) all have a diopter adjustment on the prism that makes glasses in most but extreme cases unnecessary. I find Live View an advantage only in rare occasions. Say when the camera is at ground level or when holding the camera high over my head for a shot over a crowd or when shooting down on a subject. (great for framing a wide shot of a drummer in action from above and behind) It surely has it's place, and I am finding more and more uses for Live View. But for 99% of the shots most of use take, it's a hindrance. A few DSLR's offer Live View, but not many as this is a relatively new feature.

Hi There,

Im a nikon fan myself, but in my searches I took a quick look at the Olympus E-510 which has liveview. It also has image stabilistion built in which might be a plus if you're holding it at arms length to look through liveview. (Nikon does thier version of IS in the lenses) ...Might be worth a look :)

Personally, I'd use the viewfinder more but if you really want liveview then the E-510 isn't a bad choice

If you wan't to spend a little more, the D80 has a brilliant viewfinder (large and bright) w/ dipoter adjustment if needed. The D40(x) is laking the diopter adjustment.

Hi There,

Im a nikon fan myself, but in my searches I took a quick look at the Olympus E-510 which has liveview. It also has image stabilistion built in which might be a plus if you're holding it at arms length to look through liveview. (Nikon does thier version of IS in the lenses) ...Might be worth a look :)

Personally, I'd use the viewfinder more but if you really want liveview then the E-510 isn't a bad choice

If you wan't to spend a little more, the D80 has a brilliant viewfinder (large and bright) w/ dipoter adjustment if needed. The D40(x) is laking the diopter adjustment.

Thanks for the Olympus recommend. It's a toss up now between the Canon Power Shot G9 and the Olympus E-510.

The live view is a deciding factor, sigh... I'm glad I don't have to make a decision till next month.

Maybe something gently used will come up :D

Cheers, Don.

I say go for the E-510 :) The kit lenses are reportedly fantastic, as are most olympus lenses, and with 2x crop factor of the sensor means you use shorter/lighter lenses to achieve equivalent LONG focal lengths if you are that way inclined.

The photo's ive seen from the E510 were fantastic, and they were taken in a dark room w/ no flash! (Met a guy who uses an E510 briefly at the ellerslie flower show this year)
This link here ...http://www.digital-images.co.nz/ ... is the guy I met at the garden show. All these were taken with the E510 :)

Being an SLR means you have alot more flexibility if you chose to take things further, and image quality is alot better than SLR like camera due to the larger sensor size (Ive never used the G9 though).

You make beautiful furniture and it deserves beautiful photo's! (Ok, so its definatly yours...saw the link :) )

LOL, thanks...

I like the larger screen on the G9 but I like the "body" of the Olympus.

Don't think the video feature will be a deciding factor... and a "better" image is what it's all about, isn't it?

Ah, so many decisions but it has been fun looking. Very soon though it will be time to start clicking :)

Cheers, Don.

LOL, thanks...

I like the larger screen on the G9 but I like the "body" of the Olympus.

Don't think the video feature will be a deciding factor... and a "better" image is what it's all about, isn't it?

Ah, so many decisions but it has been fun looking. Very soon though it will be time to start clicking :)

Cheers, Don.

Ill help your clicking...
Click here and then
addtocartz.gif
and then
checkoutnow.gif

:D Have fun!

Most reactions

Back