Live view versus eye piece shooting question

90% of the time I use viewfinder because:
You can see better.
All the information is closer so you eye does not have to travel from one side of the view to another.
The shutter is faster.
My face keeps the camera still.
You step in to the moment and tune out the outside world.
Your eye/head tracks faster.
When I use the LCD.
When I have to poke my camera above a crowd.
When I don't feel like getting down and dirty.
Sometimes when I use an tripod

I think most replies have covered it pretty well.

The most important reasons to use the viewfinder over the LCD are;
It makes you hold the camera with more stability, which improves the quality of your photos.
It is a real view, not a view that has to pass through electronics first.
It uses a faster method of autofocus*

*When in live view (LCD) mode, you will have a few options for AF. One is the same slow AF that you find in practically all point & shoot digital cameras. Another mode is where the camera uses the main AF system, but in order to do it, the camera has to flip the mirror down and thus cut the feed to the LCD for a brief moment.
If you use the viewfinder, the camera is always able to use it's main (fast) AF system.

I always have a good laugh when I'm at or shooting a wedding these days. The bride comes out to walk down the isle, and pracically all the guests start taking photos with their arms out in front of them. That is probably the worst way to hold a camera.

Imagine this all with DSLR's.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of what I'm about to say has probably already been said but oh well...

First, not trying to be mean just for future reference most people call it a viewfinder, not an eye piece. :)

When using live view it does not focus as fast and that is true for literally ALL cameras. Also, if the sun is out and it's very bright it might be a bit hard to see the LCD screen.

Hope this helped.

-Luke

The quality and functionality of live view varies CONSIDERABLY from one camera make to another and even from one model to another. Sony with an articulated screen (not the only make with that feature) has, nevertheless according to the reviewers the BEST implementation of this particular feature. A bright, high resolution live view has less of a viewing problem in outdoor lighting conditions. An articulated screen means that you can shoot from the waist in street photography or portraits while still making eye contact with the subject. It also makes it easier to shoot over the heads of a crowd, even if hand holding is necessary. Live view is also great for avoiding kneeling in the mud or wet grass to get a low angle shot. I find it much easier to use live view than the viewfinder, when shooting panoramas and trying to keep the full screen level as I pan. Regular fast autofocus is a given using live view.

Certainly I use the viewfinder as well, but for some shots live view is the best approach.

Last edited:
I think most replies have covered it pretty well.

The most important reasons to use the viewfinder over the LCD are;
It makes you hold the camera with more stability, which improves the quality of your photos.
It is a real view, not a view that has to pass through electronics first.
It uses a faster method of autofocus*

*When in live view (LCD) mode, you will have a few options for AF. One is the same slow AF that you find in practically all point & shoot digital cameras. Another mode is where the camera uses the main AF system, but in order to do it, the camera has to flip the mirror down and thus cut the feed to the LCD for a brief moment.
If you use the viewfinder, the camera is always able to use it's main (fast) AF system.

True for your camera perhaps, but not all cameras. Certainly NOT mine.

All but Sony SLT models do. The SLT models use phase detection in both Live View and the EVF. That's about the only exception I'm aware of.

I hate using live view. At night, sometimes it's necessary to get ANY kind of focus from my E-450 at night when using manual focus, and the contrast detect AF system has 11 points vs. 3 in the phase detect, but I just hate using it. Muuuuuch prefer the viewfinder.

All but Sony SLT models do. The SLT models use phase detection in both Live View and the EVF. That's about the only exception I'm aware of.

I hate using live view. At night, sometimes it's necessary to get ANY kind of focus from my E-450 at night when using manual focus, and the contrast detect AF system has 11 points vs. 3 in the phase detect, but I just hate using it. Muuuuuch prefer the viewfinder.

Other Sony SLRs and some of the more advanced Canons.

Using the eye piece gives you a more accurate color and lighting when you take pictures. Live view is good only if you are shooting in a weird angle (eg shooting a flower on the ground from bottom) but looking at a monitor is always not as good as using your own eyes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back